Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by max1044, Mar 19, 2009.

1. max1044 macrumors newbie

Hey i was hoping you could tell me what the LaCie 1TB d2 Quadra Hard Drive is like. I read reviews on apple.com but see they have removed some of the bad comments that i was reading last time. Im really looking for a reliable hard drive that automatically backs everything up.

Also, what does the time machine do and the fire wall do? To be honest i dont want to do anything until im advised.

Hope you dont mind with the questions, thank you in advance :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Time machine makes backups of your files. Firewalls protect your machine from unauthorized access through the internet. Search the forums for information about hard drives. I personally do not like LaCie, but I last bought one 5 years ago... maybe they've gotten better.

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

LaCie makes really good hard drives, i have been using them for years without any major problems. As with any product out of the many good drives there will be a few drives that will just not work. Most people who buy products will not leave a good review, i personally have bought many products that i have never had a problem with and i have never taken the time to go and leave a good review. On the other hand if i did have a problem with a product i am sure gona let someone know.

Yes they are. You should look at Time Machine.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html

Time Machine backs up your hard drive without you having to do anything, it backs up your main hard drive to an external one. Fire wall? i think you mean firewire, if so a firewire cable is like a usb cable but faster.

Not at all, if you do have any more questions you might find the answer at apple.com.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Last I checked LaCie doesn't actually make drives, they just make pretty enclosures that have 3rd party drives in them. I know in the past they used Maxtor (ugh).

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Yes that is technically true but is not what i meant.