Hard Freeze

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by cosmicjoke, Aug 23, 2014.

1. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

So, basically ever since I've installed Mavericks (way back at 10.9.0) my machine will sporadically hard freeze. By that I mean, the cursor doesn't move (no spinning beachball, it just is locked), the keyboard is unresponsive, the clock doesn't move, when I close the laptop lid the backlight just stays on forever. I have to hold down the power button for four seconds until it turns off to reboot.

Anyways, recently I took it in and they were more than helpful, replaced its logic board, and unfortunately the screen (had a samsung panel that was replaced w/ lg rev 2) because apparently they felt there was something wrong with the wifi antennas.....

Alas, it didn't fix the problem, same ol' *****.... It seems to always happen sporadically when I'm doing nothing, maybe using my trackpad to scroll in safari or finder....

I suppose it is worth mentioning that once I had an issue with my trackpad that they fixed, it was just sort of jumping around by itself without any usage..... They ended up replacing the top case, battery, and trackpad (because they were all glued together) and that did fix that problem... shortly thereafter upgraded to mavericks, have had this issue.... can happen anywhere from once a day to every week or so, it's real sporadic... Not sure if it happens to be related to safari, I often have it open... Have looked in the console, really see nothing specific happening w/ any given freeze....

It's really frustrating, I don't think I can sell the thing in good conscience knowing that it freezes like this... I feel like I'm stuck with this damned laptop until April of '16 or whenever the warranty wears out.....

Any suggestions? (I'm not super enthusiastic about the idea of reverting to Mountain Lion, which I ran for about 5 months w/o issues after I bought it, because its UI performs abysmally in comparison to Mavericks) BTW it's an early '13 15" 2.7ghz/16gb ram/512gb ssd.... (paid like $3k for this PoS....) meanwhile my cheap '12 mac mini has 100 days of uptime.... blargh.

2. cosmicjoke thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so I took the thing back into the Pioneer Place Apple Store here in Portland, my new guy was taking a bit more of a conservative approach at it rather than throwing more parts at it than the last guy (which ultimately lead to the logic board and display - clamshell being replaced to No resolution)..... After our discussions, I mentioned a few of my console notes mentioning my wl0 switching mac addresses, and since few parts are left to swap out (airport card, SSD etc.) that perhaps it was the Airport Card....

I may have a more complex setup than the average bear (hell if I know) I have an Airport Extreme Base Station (Gen. 5) in Create A Network mode and an Airport Express (Gen 2.) in Join A Network Mode, both on firmware 7.6.4, and an Apple Wireless Keyboard, Apple Magic Trackpad, and Brother Wireless Printer, as well as it mounting drives from my '12 Mac Mini, and epic ton of different server software on that mac mini that I use w/ my RMBP (transmission, sabnzbd, itunes server, znc, mumble, ts3 etc. etc. etc.)... It didn't particularly occur to me since nothing was directly connected during most of the freezes, but over wifi/bluetooth..... So I'm cautiously optimistic maybe this is it.... who knows....