Hard Links Tool?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by fabriciom, Nov 17, 2013.

1. fabriciom macrumors 6502

Anyone know of a working tool to create hard links? I'm trying to move the Logic X Contents out of the main drive and for some reason logic does not like symlinks. I tried and app called hardline but it did not work.

Anyone know of a working tool to create hard links in osx 10.9?

-Thanks

2. fabriciom thread starter macrumors 6502

3. mfram macrumors 65816

A hard link is a concept that only works on the same logical filesystem which, by definition, is only on one drive unless you use RAID or something like that. You can't have a "hard link" between your internal drive and external drive.

4. fabriciom thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats seems crazy, since in unix you can and OSX is based on BSD unix.

5. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Not hard links when I first read this post hours ago I did a man ln in Terminal and it tells you there a hard link cannot span file systems only symbolic links can do so. One thing you could try is mounting your external as the directory needed then that external would be considered as part of the file system. The drawback there is the drive would need to be mounted anytime you want to use the program.

6. fabriciom thread starter macrumors 6502

Not an option. My storage drive is 2 raid drives with 6 terras. I'm going to try using symlink and just the loop Dir as per other tutorials. Quite lame if you ask me...

7. leman macrumors 604

You can mount an external disk partition to a directory in the local tree. Would that be a solution?