Hard login-trouble on OSX Server

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ichjetzthier, Oct 14, 2010.

1. ichjetzthier macrumors newbie

Hi!

I am having some hard trouble with a fresh install of OSX Server (10.6).

I cannot login as local user any more. I have full access via Remote Desktop, i can even login the local admin as Remote Desktop-User, but not locally!!!

Whenever I enter the password (I've allready done the password reset and the HD is ok) it just wiggles and does not let me pass. When using the same user as RD-user, it accepts everything -> the password is okay, apparently the user data also is.

I also used the "createUser.pkg" to create a new user. It was properly created (I saw it in "reset password") but I cannot login locally.

What the hell? What could I possibly do wrong? Is there any way to completely reset the user accounts without reinstalling the hole system?

I hope for help!! :)

2. ichjetzthier thread starter macrumors newbie

Could this be a problem of permissions? Could I have said the usergroups that they are not allowed to login any more? if yes, can I change this via unix-command?

Some more information: I can access to the computer with the admin user via remote desktop, but not via vnc or afp.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

It doesn't sound like you're using Workgroup Manager (in the server tools) to manage accounts remotely; you might try installing the tools and connecting via Workgroup Manager to see if all the settings for the account in question look normal. It's possible something got inadvertently turned off. Or, alternately, if all else fails, you should be able to create a new admin user via Workgroup Manager with both remote and local logins, then move your data/settings over.

4. ichjetzthier thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi. Sorry fpr my late reply, I come from Germany, was sleeping... ;-)

I had to reinstall the hole thing. I did not know about the remote workgroup manager. My error was indeed, that I excluded all local users from the access for the loginwindow. Not too intelligent, I know... :rolleyes:

So thanks for your help and have a nice weekend! :)