Hard press iPhone 7 home button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZEEN0j, Sep 22, 2016.

1. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Is this a feature just waiting to happen? I was thinking a light press to go home and a harder press to go to the app switcher. Or something else entirely. What would you like the hard press to do?

Edit: Going to the app switcher would have the same effect as force pressing to change faces on the Apple Watch. If you press harder slowly the animation will gradually zoom out until entering the app switcher fully.

2. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

Interesting thought. I wonder if "force touch" internal ability is part of the new home button or not. (Siri is long press- nothing to do with force, and everything else seems to be double click/tap)

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I want double tap (reachability now) to invoke the task switcher.

4. ZEEN0j thread starter macrumors 6502a

That would be nice as well. How would you replace reachabilities implementation if double tap would do something else? Hard pressing to go to app switcher would make sense in the context of the home buttons main function imo and would feel really nice doing.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Here are some potential mappings:

Tap 1 time to go home
    Tap 2 times for reachability
    tap 3 times for accessibility

force touch lightly switch to last app
    force touch firmly invoke task switcher

or let users configure it the way they want.

6. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Given the current feeling of home button, I would say we would better not hope such feature becoming available in iPhone 7 series. The difference between soft and hard press is hard to distinguish.
    What I believe it is possible is to activate certain features based on how many times User should press.

7. ZEEN0j thread starter macrumors 6502a

Have you used the new trackpad? It would work the same way. First press would give a vibration. If you press deeper to the designated threshold it would give a second vibration to let you know you've pressed hard enough.

8. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

But it is obvious that current home button does not have that feature.
    And yes, I have used the new trackpad.

9. Nozuka macrumors 68000

while i'm sure that the taptic engine would be able to make you feel the harder press, i'm not sure the home "button" is equipped to detect how hard you press. so far it looks like it doesn't

10. ZEEN0j thread starter macrumors 6502a

The 7 home button senses pressure. That's why it vibrates when you press it and not when you tap it. It's the same technology. All they have to do is just add one more level of pressure so when you go past that something else happens. That's how the screen works. Why would they reinvent the wheel when they already have it running in the screen. The hardware is there. Question is if Apple wants you use it that way.