Other Hard reset help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by white4s, Jun 14, 2019.

1. white4s macrumors 68000

Trying to reset a phone that froze up at work (I work IT) but not sure which model it is, it just says iphone on the back. I tried each version of the reset but they all lead me to calling 911 which it did and I was like oh **** my mistake. Any type of help is appreciated.

Either a 6 or 7 though.

2. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

To force restart or hard reset your device, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons simultaneously for at least ten seconds. After about ten seconds, you should see the Apple logo and can release the buttons. That's it. Now you know how to hard reset your iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s

To hard reboot an iPhone 7, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Volume Down buttons for about 10 seconds, or until you see the Apple logo appear on the screen. Once you see the Apple logo, let go of both buttons and allow the device a few moments to rebootback into iOS.

3. white4s thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes as mentioned I've tried each version of the reset, they all end up calling 911.

4. chabig macrumors 603

You're just doing it wrong.

To call 911, rapidly press the side (or top) button five times. The Emergency SOS slider will appear.

To reset, press and hold both the Side (or Top) button and the Volume Down button for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

5. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

If you can manage to take a photo of your phone and upload, we might be able to help you more specifically. With that being said, the reset procedure should not clash with emergency call feature.

6. white4s thread starter macrumors 68000

Nah man I'm definitely not. I'm holding it down but it's calling way before the 10 second mark.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2019 ---
    It's just frozen on the lock screen but it's still working as it's getting phone calls and able to take pictures since I hear the shutter. Very weird

7. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

NoBoMac

Or if an 8, takes some dexterity. Seen Apple Geniuses struggle with it, and the one time I tried, took several attempts.

• Quick press and release volume up
    • Quick press and release volume down
    • Press and hold side/power button until Apple logo shows

8. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

9. white4s thread starter macrumors 68000

--- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2019 ---
    MY MAN. Guess I tried this version incorrectly before making the thread.

10. chabig macrumors 603

Those are Apple’s instructions for the iPhone 8 exactly, as I linked to Apple’s documentation. Even after I suggested you were doing it wrong you doubled down and insisted that you weren’t. Sometimes, when things don’t work as expected, it’s good to abandon all defensiveness and reread the instructions. :)

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have always used Settings, General and shut down.

Pretty fool proof instead of hitting the buttons in a certain order.

12. white4s thread starter macrumors 68000

Unrelated. The phone froze up bro hence the hard reset procedure.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 16, 2019 ---
    Far from being defensive.