Hard Reset iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Edge1978, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

For some reason I cannot hard reset my phone. No matter how long I hold in the home/power button it will do a screen shot instead. Anyone else having this issue?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Are you running a beta?

3. jdmar2004 macrumors member

jdmar2004

It's now power and volume down button. I had to do this the other day

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Oh **** really? I'm guessing that's only for the 7

5. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

Yes. Think about it...the home button wouldn't work anymore since it's not a real button. Once the phone powers down it wouldn't know you're still holding the button to power back up.

As a side note. It's made screenshots really easy again. They got a little dicey in the 6/6 plus/6s/6 plus models. Sometimes it would just lock the phone. I got pretty good at it over the last 2 years though.

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

To force reset the iPhone 7, hold down the Power button on the right side of the device and the Volume Down button on the left side at the same time. Users should then wait for the familiar black screen and Apple logo, which would signal a successful hard reset.

Recovery Mode
    To access Recovery Mode on the iPhone 7, users will first have to connect their smartphone to their PC or Mac using a Lightning to USB cable. Afterwards, press and hold the Power button and the Volume Down button until screen goes black, similar to the method to force reset the smartphone.

However, users should keep holding the Power button and the Volume Down button even after the appearance of the Apple logo. The buttons can be released once the Connect to iTunes prompt appears on the iPhone 7's display.

After the appearance of the prompt, users can enter Recovery Mode by launching iTunes.

DFU Mode
    Accessing DFU Mode on the iPhone 7 also required a change, with the first steps mirroring the method to access Recovery Mode. After connecting the smartphone to the PC or Mac, users should press and hold the Power button and Volume Down button for 10 seconds, and then release the Power button and keep holding the Volume Down button for 10 more seconds.

Unlike in accessing Recovery Mode, which will display a message to Connect to iTunes, accessing DFU Mode will keep the screen of the iPhone 7 blank. Users should then launch iTunes to enter DFU Mode.

Leaving Recovery And DFU Modes
    To exit Recovery Mode and DFU Mode, users simply have to perform a force reset on the iPhone 7 by once again holding down the Power button and Volume Down button.

7. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

8. Edge1978 thread starter macrumors 6502