Hard shell case (plastic skin) for MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Phrasikleia, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I do a fair amount of flying with my laptop and, of course, always have to take the thing out of its cushy bag to go through security. The only scratches I ever got on my TiBook were from abuse in the airport security bins. I just ordered a Penryn MBP and want to protect it from scratches, since I think I will probably sell it within the next year or two to upgrade.

So: would buying one of those hard shell cases (plastic skins) be a good idea? That way, the machine could come out of its bag and still be protected, but if the plastic shell will cause heat problems or something like that, then maybe it's not such a great idea.

Does anyone have experience with these plastic skin cases?

2. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

I personally would not put one of these on my computer, just for the sake of the feeling I like a bare computer. I'm not sure about heat problems but you could probably carry a soft cloth and set that down in the tray and then put your laptop on top of it and wrap it around the sides.q

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I use a Speck and it doesn't make a difference in temps. However, dust and stuff does gather in the corners, so you need to clean the shell inside and dust off the MBP once a month or so if you want to keep it clean.

I only recommend using a plastic shell if you travel a lot and are afraid of scratches and dents.

4. macsupermarket macrumors newbie

I agree with the Speck they are pretty good products, it also comes in a variety of colours if you want to change from the grey colour.

5. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies! The Speck was the one I had in mind.

Like phiberglass, I definitely prefer the look and feel of the machine bare as it is, so I would probably leave the case off until it came time to get on a flight.

6. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

8. crzymac macrumors newbie

I would lean away from Speck... i had it one mine for 2 weeks took it off carefully to clean and notice a scratch on the front... :mad: apparently they didnt' smooth out some of the edges...

9. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Thanks for the warning. I was wondering about that. I had the same thing happen with the plastic skin I put on my Motorola Razr. :|

10. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

11. err404 macrumors 68020

I use a Speck for my MBP and I have to agree that the case should have better build quality. Especially for the price. The biggest issue is that the right hand clip on the bottom piece did not attach correctly (seems to be a common problem). I ended up using a Dremel to remove the clip, cut a new one with a correct fit and super gluing it into place. It came out pretty good and overall I'm satisfied with the fit now; however this should not have been required.

(FYI my GF has a Speck for her MB and the fit is perfect)

Any time two hard pieces are pressed together, there can be scuffs and scratches (the Speck has not noticeably scratched mine). My MBP is moved around a lot and a hard shell does provide real protection. If you feel that your MBP and lifestyle will not result in any scratches scuffs or dents in the years you will be using it, then by all means don't bother with a shell.

In the end I feel that any damage from the Speck itself would very minor compared to going without.

12. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

13. Moocher macrumors regular

You might also want to check out something like Gelaskins.com. They sell some glueless stick on covers for iPods and laptops. Typically they only cover the top of the laptop, but I don't see why you couldn't order two and make cuts for the battery. I'm rather taken with the Dr. Gonzo design, myself, and use it for a couple of iPods.

Mooch

14. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

15. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

you're welcome :)

16. higgz macrumors member

higgz

17. err404 macrumors 68020

If they haven't shipped it yet, see if you can cancel it. Otherwise, if you have have a fit problem with the shell, you have a legitimate case to return it.

If the case does fit correctly, then don't worry about it. It is nice shell overall.

18. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

19. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

i thought about speck and the idea was good, but they are ugly.
    they take away from simplicty.

i saw the macbookcase.com site. a great idea. it kept the simplicty.

also that other link with the black...thing, looks cool.

20. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

i know what you mean. i hate the whole moulding design on the speck case. it should just be flat. it makes it look like a dell or something