Hard-shell cases for rMBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ploki, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Ploki, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  2. code137 macrumors newbie

I purchased an iPearl and the STM Grip. The iPearl is quite a bit thicker and probably offers more protection for drops, but I'm still using the STM grip myself now. It was one of the only lined options I found. That said, the black is kind of a pain to keep clean.

http://www.amazon.com/STM-Hardshell...2&sr=8-1&keywords=STM+grip+macbook+pro+retina (they picture the air for some reason)

I'm still looking for something better.

3. SchuettS macrumors 6502

I use the iPearl. It was the only one that I knew of that has tabs that prop up the back for typing and better ventilation. I was sick of setting it on note cards to elevate the back when I play games that make it hot. Its easy to put on but the top is hard to get off (u shouldnt have to take it off anyways). I would recommend this case.

4. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I'm not exactly sure for drop protection since I always place my rMBP in a sleeve, but I would recommend either Speck or Moshi for appeal and scratch resistant. For Speck make sure you choose a matte finish since the glossy one's are VERY VERY susceptible to scratches. While the Moshi case is probably top quality since the price is at $70, although I can vouch they make some of the BEST accessories in the market.

Here is the link to Moshi's GORGEOUS case: http://www.moshimonde.com/product/iglaze-pro.aspx

5. pmurph5 macrumors newbie

I also use the iPearl on my rMBP 15"; mine is black. Pros: I like the tabs in the back for propping up at an angle. The price was low.

Cons: The plastic is more shiny than matte. It shows fingerprints, and the Apple logo is very dim. For looks, I much prefer the very nice finish on my Speck matte black MacBook Air hard shell, which has just the right subtle dimming of the glowing Apple logo. (Although the iPearl may be better when using the computer in public at Starbucks, etc. since it looks like a cheap no-name PC and thus is less attractive to thieves <g>.)

If you get an iPearl, note that when you put the bottom cover on, insert the back of the rMCP first. This ensures the rMCP seats in the hold-down tabs. I didn't do this at first, so the right bottom corner of the hard shell stuck out about 1/16". It can't be forced in; you have to take off the bottom cover and reinstall it starting from the back.

6. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

Added incipio for reference.

I'm leaning towards Moshi.

7. ScKcBc macrumors regular

i just got the kuzy one today, seems good so far

8. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68000

I touched speck satin today. the apple shines really nice subtle from the satinblack shell.