Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
how many of you are using them on your mbp .. i was always against them
because i thought they ruined the look .. but seeing how anal i am when it
comes to keeping it in good shape .. im seriously thinking about adding one ..

bamf

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
I have the Speck See Thru Satin in black and it's been great. I've got a nice leather satchel I carry my MBP in, but it has zippers inside that would scratch the machine up terribly. The Speck has kept the machine in great shape.

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama
I have the Speck See Thru Satin in black and it's been great. I've got a nice leather satchel I carry my MBP in, but it has zippers inside that would scratch the machine up terribly. The Speck has kept the machine in great shape.

How hard have you found is it to take this case off? do you do it often to clean the computer? and have you found any scratches on your MBP as a result of this case?

just curious. i'm looking at possibly getting one

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I've used both the speck and incase hardshells with no issues. MBP is typically described by genii as "flawless" when I bring it in (when coupled with an iKlear shine every so often).

Some other guy says his speck scratched his mbp but it could be a manufacturing defect.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
i jsut love the look and feel of my incase hardshell frost. it doesnt ruin the look at all, is quite light, the feet allow some space between the table and the MBP and it fits the 2010 magsafe. I was afraid it would make the lid wobble due to the extra weight, but it doesnt seem to make any difference. I wouldn't want to go without it anymore.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
I say go for it, mine did get a scratch but it would have much more than a scratch if I had gone w/o it, something like a neoprene sleeve or wrapsol couldn't provide. I would imagine a wrasol+hard case would be the best answer but...yeah. I treat my MBP pretty bad so it has been a life saver. It's more like a battering ram than a computer :)

bamf

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
I haven't noticed any scratches yet. It's somewhat tricky to get the case off, but doable.

THENIZZZEIL

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
Cerritos, Ca
i seriously researched for days just before i purchased my MBP 13" - i was debating between the seethru satin and the clear hard case. After trying both at the store i think the satin has a better feel/look than the clear. mind you that the satin is actually a clear/hard case with a frosted outside, it seems. so the protection is there. alot of people mention that it adds alot of weight, i think it feels fine.

the reason i didnt want the clear hard shell cases was cuz it looks a little to tacky for me, that shine on it kind makes it look weird, for me at least.

another case i was looking into was the incipio feather, but the bottom shell has no holes for the computer to breathe, while that may not be an issue in reality, the heat that i get from my laptop already probably wouldnt have been good with this type of case. another reason i didnt get it, was cuz the case is a lot thinner than the speck. i could easily see it bending and warping over time. as far as the looks, it looks a lot cooler cuz its a solid color compared to teh satin. however i dont mind the red speck that i have.

goodluck, i know people that are fine without cases, but for my own piece of mind, speck keeps me safe, and it looks cool too!

Hisdem

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
South Florida
I took my Black Speck Satin off yesterday to clean it, and forgot to put it back this morning :rolleyes: the MBP looks better without it but it feels so "vulnerable" hahaha If you can bear with it, I say add a case. It will protect your investment agains those undesired scratches.

Covart

Aug 15, 2010
Europe
I fly all the time and I don't think a hard case is a necessity at all.

You must not care to much about your computer or you don't use it very often on the planes. Between having to take the computer out and into the plastic bin for the xray machine (and I always love when more crap gets put on top of my computer) and trying to use it in coach seats (which vary from airline to airline) where the top portion of the display may hit the seat in front and the bottom can get scratched from the pull out /arm rest tray.

I'm having a tough time believing you fly a lot and your machine still looks perfect without any protection on it.

alecthemacboi96

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
i was thinking about getting the speck seethru satin black but i hear that its a fingerprint magnet and your macbook can get scratched with the case on if not cleaned can any owners reply thanks :)

Hisdem

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
South Florida
i was thinking about getting the speck seethru satin black but i hear that its a fingerprint magnet and your macbook can get scratched with the case on if not cleaned can any owners reply thanks :)

Not true if you take care of it. Of course if you eat some chips and put your fingers o the case the fat will stay there, marking it, but nothing a soft cloth won't handle. And as long you take the case out every once in a while to clean it, it won't scratch anything. I've been using mine for a month now and pretty happy.

deeesea

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2010
I've got this ugly red speck case. I had thought it looked cool, but it looks like @$$ and after a while i wanted to switch to thise nice white one i saw, but @ 54 bucks a pop it's too pricey to switch.

That being said. it's a PITA to remove, but it does protect the machine quite well? I throw it around quite a bit. just drop it on tables (as opposed to seeing how some people gently set their laptops down like it was made of TNT).

alecthemacboi96

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
incase or speck

i was reading on the incase website about their hard shell case for the 13 MBP and they said it had a soft touch
i was wondering if it is the same feel as the speck seethru satin or is it different thanks

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
i was reading on the incase website about their hard shell case for the 13 MBP and they said it had a soft touch
i was wondering if it is the same feel as the speck seethru satin or is it different thanks

as far as I could remember, there wasn't much different but the one thing I did notice was the Incase had the company name embossed on the top towards the side but the Speck is just plain (black in my case).

Hisdem

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
South Florida
as far as I could remember, there wasn't much different but the one thing I did notice was the Incase had the company name embossed on the top towards the side but the Speck is just plain (black in my case).

That's about it really. I use a Speck and my sister uses an Incase, they are basically the same except for the opening for the IR reciever and the logo on the back.

Bisz

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
ON, Canada
You must not care to much about your computer or you don't use it very often on the planes. Between having to take the computer out and into the plastic bin for the xray machine (and I always love when more crap gets put on top of my computer) and trying to use it in coach seats (which vary from airline to airline) where the top portion of the display may hit the seat in front and the bottom can get scratched from the pull out /arm rest tray.

I'm having a tough time believing you fly a lot and your machine still looks perfect without any protection on it.

I care bout my MBP quite a bit.

I never use it on the plane, I use my iPad.

I have no problem taking the computer from my bag and putting it in a bin for X-raying, its not a difficult task for me though I fully admit that your mileage may vary. All my other crap gets dumped on my work laptop which is in another bin.

As to your last sentence:

1) Don't put words in my mouth. I never said my machine looks perfect. It does, but I never said that, pure assumption on your part.
2) The things that your mind has difficulties grappling with are none of my concern, nor are they of any interest to me. I suspect that the majority of this forum's readers are in the same boat.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Not true if you take care of it. Of course if you eat some chips and put your fingers o the case the fat will stay there, marking it, but nothing a soft cloth won't handle. And as long you take the case out every once in a while to clean it, it won't scratch anything. I've been using mine for a month now and pretty happy.

Ditto. I've had my Speck Satin on mine since May of this year, had it off this weekend to do a memory upgrade and my MBP finish is flawless.

I have noticed some of the satin finish on the Speck case wearing off of the corners however.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
This is what my girlfriend got, except in silver, hardcandy hard shells. They have alot of colors. I just like it b/c its different, also, the silver one matches the color of the mac perfectly and its just as good of quality as a speck or incase(which i have)

stealth3.jpg

http://www.hardcandycases.com/bubbleshell-stealth-macbook-pro-case.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.