Hard time renaming files on 10.5.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DN667, Nov 24, 2009.

1. DN667 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of an early 2009 24" iMac with OSX 10.5.8. Since some time I've had this annoying problem when renaming files from the Finder. While entering a new file name, the Finder just randomly drops back to it's "regular state". This leaves the file partially renamed, which is very confusing at best.

How do I figure out what is causing this? I don't have a clue where to look.

Thanks in advance, DN

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you open a folder, sometimes it takes several seconds to fully display all icons. If you try modifying a filename during this process, it will revert back to normal state. To edit a filename, select the file and press Enter.

3. DN667 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there,

This also happens when the folder has been opened for hours. My guess'd be this has nothing to do with the updating of the icons etc?

Best, DN

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Start with the basic troubleshooting methods

Corrupt Finder plist file? (Do you know the drill?)

Corrupt User Account? Try a different account.

5. DN667 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know the drill, please tell me :)

I'll try another account. I really hope it's not account related or easy to solve, as I've put quite some efforts in putting my account to my likes.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

com.apple.finder.plist & com.apple.desktop.plist

Most likely suspect: the first one. Find that file.
    It is in Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences
    Move the file to your Desktop.
    Restart the computer. (A new plist file will be made. Verify that it's there. It will be a fresh prefs file, set to defaults.)
    Try to rename a file. If it works, Trash the file on the Desktop.
    If no joy, you can put the plist file back. This will overwrite the one just made.
    The only reason to do that is to restore settings that you changed.

7. DN667 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Just tried it and it somewhat helped. The problem still exists, but it happens much less frequent.

While testing I noticed a few things:
    1. In case I'm in a folder with only a few items, there's no problem anymore (or it just doesn't happen that often..?)
    2. When I'm in a somewhat more substantial folder, it happens quite a lot
    3. On my network drives it happens all the time. And I'm the only user on those drives.

Should I look into trying this with a brand new local account?

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes. Trying a new account is easy. Moving your stuff from your present account is more difficult. There are steps outlined in Mac Help, if it comes to that. But after reading that, if you have questions, post again. Let us know how things turn out. Good luck!