Hard to edit

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Beachin, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Beachin macrumors newbie

I have a photo given to me by a friend to edit.

I had agreed to edit it, thinking that it would only need a few tweaks even though it was old.

When I received it, I was at a loss on how to edit it.

It is very damaged and old, but that isn't the main problem. It seems to have been printed on some type of linen paper so that it has texture though out the photo. All my edits make the photo smooth, which I knew that it would. You can see where I was trying to fix the background before I realized that it was way over my head to edit the whole thing.

Does anyone know how to or if this type of photo can have a linen look put back on it after editing?

That way, I don't have to edit each and every pixel on the photo to make it consistently smooth.

Admittedly, my photoshop experience is just beginner. I haven't done anything beyond the basics imo.

Is there somewhere I could go to learn how to do this specifically?

Here is the picture if that helps answer questions.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I would cut the people out using a mask, then add a new background and use the Texturizer filter on it to simulate that "linen paper" texture.

3. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Here's my first rough attempt I just got down and dirty with the clone stamp and occasional spot heal.

I have just done the girl on the left,

a lot of painstaking work to rebuild this picture this way, would be interested to see if any one has a quicker method??

[​IMG]

4. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Heya...

Just a fast piece of work, I wont say I did an outstanding job, but it's better none the less.

I dont hope your friend is expecting to print it again? The resolution is way too low... :S It will never look good. The photo should be scanned in 300 dpi twice it's original size, that would make it a bit easier to restore it. So if you or your friend could put up a raw file that size, we could have a look again...

Cheers :)

-----
    www.legreve.com

Attached Files:

5. Beachin thread starter macrumors newbie

I uploaded to photobucket so that I could get the proper link to post. My photo is actually much better resolution.

How would I post it here in full resolution??

Thanks for the help!

6. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Under Sharing on your PhotoBucket page for this photo, select Direct Link and copy the text. Open your Reply window for the forum and click the yellow icon I highlighted below. Paste your link text in the side window that shows up and click OK. If the photo is too big in the preview, change the IMG tags to TIMG. I removed one [ and one ] to make the text show for you. Send me a PM if you have trouble.

Dale

Attached Files:

7. adversus macrumors regular

adversus

I don't use PS, I use Pixelmator (because I ***** hate Adobe).

You can replicate that linen look in Pixelmator. Create a new layer, set foreground color to match the background of the existing background, Filters -> Generate -> Stripes. Smallest stripe setting.

Rinse and repeat for layer #2 but rotate 90 degrees. Set opacity to about 30% or thereabouts.