Hard to sell ATV2

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Brein, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Brein macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm finding it hard to sell my ATV2. (Three units, actually.) I always imagined they'd be snapped up by those keen on an ATV with a jailbreak, but either that market is gone since ATV4 (as Plex allows you to watch video from any network share, which is what I used my ATV2 for) or I'm not reaching the right audience. All I'm getting are dozens of newbie questions. 'Does it play games, can I update Kodi', etc.

Doesn't help that Kodi can't be updated beyond 14.1 or that Airplay no longer works properly since practically everyone is on an iOS version higher than 7. Should I just toss these things out? Has the moment to cash in on my nest eggs passed?

The sad thing is that I've given out ATV3's to family members and found they are NEVER used. Damned old people, not a bloody clue about new tech. Should have bought them all looms... I've thought about quietly switching their threes for twos and selling the threes...

2. woodynorman macrumors 6502

3. DaveN macrumors 6502a

DaveN

My guess is that the ability to install Kodi on ATV4s destroyed the ATV2 market. Here is a link to one method.
    http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_on_Apple_TV_4

4. Ideanj macrumors newbie

How much were you looking to sell for?

Plex competitor Infuse, which is what I currently use, is only possible on ATV2 and ATV4. You can try reaching the Infuse boards to see if anyone is interested in your ATV2. I may be interested in one.