iPad Hard to tell difference between iPad 3 and 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Booji, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

I went to test-drive an iPad 4. Seriously, its hard to tell the speed difference. I've seen the geekbench reports and know that the A6X blows the A5X away, but it practical use, I can't really tell the difference. Programs *seem* to open faster, but thats pretty much it.

2. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

As an iPad 3 owner, I am happy to hear this information.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

that is b.c no apps really push the a6x. The difference will be more noticeable in later IOS version...7, etc

4. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

By then, a lot of us iPad 3 owners will have the 5 and it won't matter

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

very true. It is a lot like our iphone5's....by time the processors would really be put to use, a new phone will be out. Phones are definitely at a peek

6. OSMac macrumors 65816

Encoding iMovies should be much faster, maybe less stutter on some games.
    Pinball arcade comes to mind.

Also if your router supports the dual stream wifi , then file copies should almost double in speed.

If anyone has both, please compare those...

7. nataliamck macrumors 6502

I'm happy enough with my iPad 3. My view is this though, should I sell now and upgrade to iPad 4 for a small price or wait until the 5 and upgrade at a higher price?

I am assuming the iPad 3 will devalue a lot more when the 5 comes out :confused:

8. zoman504 macrumors regular

Keep telling yourself that.

9. Booji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Booji

I was seriously thinking of upgrading from my 3, but this is just too marginal of a difference.

Only thing I'm missing is LTE for my country which the 4 should support. Other than that, I'll wait for the 5.

10. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I'm just out the Glasgow store, had my 3 side by side with a 4, and had to look for the Lightning port to tell the difference.

iOS 6.0.1 is as smooth on both, no difference at ALL in UI animations, smoothness, pinching in/out of photo piles, etc.

Sure, bigger games will load a few seconds quicker but right now the iPad 4 is more about being future proof rather than making an immediate impact.

----------

He's not lying or delusional. Until apps come which push the A6X you will see NO difference other than marginal load time improvements (few seconds).

iOS development history has proven that newer devices don't see peak performance apps for 6/8 months due to developers catering for older devices (see 3GS still being supported on the iPhone platform).

11. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

One of the reviews actually had the iPad 3 encoding clips in iMovie a little quicker than the 4 although I'm sure they said the 4 would perform better with longer movie clips. Not quite sure why this was though - I found this surprising and would like to see some real world users giving their thoughts on this.

12. Booji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Booji

Same thing with iPhone 5 and 4S.

I've got a 5 and it is faster than a 4S, but in daily use the speed difference is really hard to tell.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

exactly. If you were to remove LTE and have the same design....very few people would be able to notice a speed difference. Twice the speed sounds nice on paper, but when the apps don't demand it you really cannot tell.

14. jigzaw, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

jigzaw macrumors 6502

If I had an iPad 3, I would not upgrade now but wait to see what the 5 brings and possibly wait 'til the 6. However, I have NO iPad and think I will happily buy an iPad 4 sometime this week. The only thing causing me any hesitation is the whiff of a potential March iPad 5 release. Most of us here seem to think this is unlikely, but seeing as the 4 is such a muted release with no publicity (have you seen a single ad or billboard for the 4th generation iPad? I haven't), I'd be kind of surprised but not shocked if 5 comes out in Spring.

15. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I am happy with my iPad 3. Will keep it until the next generation. I will begin to put money away for a retina mini.

16. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

The 4 is a nice processor upgrade, but there's no software out really to take advantage of it. By the time there is, Apple will hopefully be releasing the real sequel to the iPad 3 that incorporates better screen tech and a body design on par with the current Mini, which will then make all the people that jumped on the 4 cry like little girls.

17. jigzaw macrumors 6502

I'm probably going to jump on the 4 and if this mythical iPad 5 comes out in March, I WILL cry like a little girl because who would expect a "generation" of iPad to last 4 months? I can totally wait until March if this drastic re-design is due out then. But if it comes out next November, I'll be perfectly happy that I didn't wait a full year to enjoy having an iPad.

18. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Try opening garage band on a 3/4/5 the difference is night and day

19. Booji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Booji

Oh yea, the other thing is that its runs no cooler than the 3. When I held the 4, I felt that familiar warmth around the middle.

20. Liquinn Suspended

Lightning connector.

It's nice to own the newest thing I guess, until 7 months time haha. :L

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

HD FaceTime camera is very nice for my uses. And the lightning connector means no two sets of plugs. So those would be my two main reasons for preferring it. The speed I don't see as a big deal, as even my iPad 2 runs iOS 6 smooth as silk.

22. Booji thread starter macrumors 6502a

Booji

23. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

You know what the difference is between Apple and Android? Apple still caters to older devices. From the 3GS all the up to the iPad 4 (only reason iPad 1 cannot run iOS 6 is because of greed). Android on the other hand could release a new OS that has been totally revamped for today's processors. It's call fragmentation. But the way I see it the lack of fragmentation actually hurts Apple in the long run. iOS has been stale for the last 2 years because of it and developers know that people are still using A4 and A5 processors with 512mb of Ram. Why should a developer code for a A6 processor if tons of people are still using iPad 2's and iPad mini's?
    The next iOS release should dump the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 so that we can get a full redesign that takes advantage of dual core processors and screen resolution. It's nice that my iPhone 4 still works with the majority of apps but it's not advancing iOS ahead of Android anytime soon. Otherwise you're not going to know the difference between iPhone 5 and iPhone 8.

24. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

At the end of the video, you see that his iPad 4 was only getting 2.5Mbps on his wireless network. At that connection speed, the iPad 4 isn't the bottleneck.

25. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the info! I am curious how warm it would get if it was running a game that fully utilized the A6X's supposedly amazing graphics chip.