Hard-wired home network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gee, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Gee macrumors 65816

Hello there

I'm about to get our house rewired, and I thought that it might be worthwhile getting some ethernet cable put in at the same time. But, I'm not sure whether it's actually worth doing - I currently have a wireless airport network.

So, my question. Who has a hardwired network? To how many rooms? And what's your set-up? What do you have connected where?

Be interested to know....

2. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

My dad setup a wired network in our house (then we got a wireless router/modem, but still use the wired network). Right now, it is only setup in two rooms, the main computer room and my room, but we have been planning to expand it into two others.
    CAT5 and CAT6 wiring is really cheap, as long as you don't mind devoting a couple hours to running the cable, i'd say it is worth it.

3. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My house has wired networking in all the major rooms (everything but bathrooms and closets). I think its good to have, I use it maybe 1/3 of the time just because its faster and more reliable. If you have a desktop set up, you might as well stick with wired, why slow yourself down with wireless?

4. Gee thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you just use it for connecting between computers to share files, or do you have any cool stuff connected?

Like NAS boxes, itunes servers, apple TV, hubs, routers, print servers, etc? I was looking at the kind of set-up that I could achieve if I went wired.

5. Gav macrumors regular

Sort of. We're intending on doing it soon (at the moment there are a few ethernet cables stapled to the wall and dangling out of windows :p).

The plan is this (I did a 'basic' summary, in actual fact its going to be a hell of a lot more complicated).

[​IMG]

You may think that this setup seems expensive and extravagant. Well, its not. Look more closely, there are no 'luxurious' items, its not going to cost very much at all!

Most looking forward to the IP Telephony :D