hardcase for macbook pro 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by priesty, Aug 20, 2011.

1. priesty macrumors newbie

Stuck between the incase hardshell case and the Speck SeeThru Satin Hard Shell Case? Suggestions would be much appreciated.

BTW I know there's not much difference but....you know I though I might ask anyway :) Thanks

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Speck see-thru...

I have this for my 13" and it's causing specks on the aluminum finish. Apparently the finish is sticking to the plastic somehow and pulling it off.

3. whsbuss, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Not sure what you mean about the plastic sticking to the finish. I originally got the Incase Blueberry hardshell when I bought my MBP 13. Today I exchanged it for the Black Speck SeeThru Satin. The Speck does not fit as well as the Incase. It also has a slight "snap" sound when opening the lid (Incase never did).

Speck finish has a slightly more rubberized feel, high gloss on the inside of top/bottom which can hold more dust vs. Incase. What I do like about the Incase vs. Speck is the bottom shell. It has a full clip-type along the back where the screen hinge is. This keeps dust out better than the Speck.

What I plan on doing is returning the Speck satin black to Apple and try out the Incase perforated black. Best Buy has them along with the Incase black hardshell similar to the blueberry I had. That way if I don't like the perforated one I'll go back to the regular one.

I like some Speck products but for my MBP I like Incase better.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the mag power plug sits a bit better on the Incase - Speck not as good.

4. cz9h3d macrumors member

I got the Incase frost white last week for my MBP13. Since my kids will be handling it I wanted fewer worries. And the frost white helps preserve the cool look/finish of the MBP. The fit is very good. The finish feels a little rubbery, nice and grippy. I didn't care for the Speck clear as I was worried the totally clear would too easily show marks on the plastic.

Had a heck of a time finding it! Www.outfityours.com had it in stock, free shipping, and it came super fast.

5. Jrv macrumors regular

I here bad things about the Incase in regards to heat.

6. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Yea so did I. There's a review on Amazon where a guy had heat damage. All hardshell cases retain some heat. That's why I'd like to try to Incase perforated case. My only concern with that type of case is dust collection and spills between the holes.

Still using the Speck now and its a good case but overall I like the Incase (although I did have an issue with the battery level button on the left side - was harder to push).

The black satin (Incase and Speck) only show the apple logo when its on. I liked the blueberry Incase b/c you can see the logo somewhat with it off. Hope someone who has/had the perforated case chimes in with their opinions.

7. Jrv, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

Jrv macrumors regular

I was thinking about getting the incase black, but when I learned that is was actually a plum/purple color, I was 100% turned off immediately. Is the Speck black ACTUALLY black, unlike the Incase one?

8. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about the Speck but read that it fits so tight that it sometimes scratches the aluminum finish. I ultimately decided not to get a hard case and just use my Incase Deluxe Protective Sleeve. Of course, I am the only person who ever touches my laptop. If I had kids, I would probably have a different opinion on that subject.

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

The logo shows a dim white on the Speck black see thru. The Incase black is a bit on the purple side.

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Speck seethru is the best I have seen so far.

11. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I have the Speck seethough satin and I absolutely love it. However, keep in mind that I have a 17" so that's basically my only option... Incase doesn't make any shells for the 17" MBP

12. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss