Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Hi there. I've just started uni, and it seems like it can be a bit tedious to take my MacBook Pro out of its neoprene sleeve. I'm thinking of going the way of some "on-laptop" protection. Between a hardshell (by this I mean like Speck/incase, etc) and invisible shield, which one do you guys recommend and why? If a hardshell, which hardshell and why?

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I would go for the hard case in case. I have had a few speck cases and they have all been cheap plastic that has scratched my laptops. Touch wood so far my incase has not done so. Or you could try case mate suit.

Invisible shield I have it on my iphone 3g, it feels strange and though i am sure protects makes my iphone feel cheap.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I would go with the invisibleSHIELD. Since neither will protect against drops, the the SHIELD won't have the bulk.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I'm quite careful with my valuables, so dropping isn't too much of an issue. I haven't even dropped a phone in my life! I'm mainly protecting it against maybe accidental bumps (the MBP's size sometimes helps with that) so yeah... is Speck really that bad, up to scratching the laptop? If I apply the invisibleshield, does it make my laptop finish glossy?

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
If you are at college, and will be carrying it around, I'd get the HardShell. Yes it is bulkier, and the MBP will be noticeably heavier with the case on, but it will protect the MBP from all sorts of crap, short of a drop or nuclear war. Remember, the HardShell will also protect the MBP against dents, I've had a couple instances where I would have gotten dents on the MBP if it wasn't for my HardShell.

I take my HardShell off at home, and put it back on when I go on trips. The lighter weight without the Hardshell is nice, and I like the bare aluminum look of it. I'm thinking about getting an Invisible Shield, however, the shiny look of it is putting me off.

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
I used to have a hard case around my MBP. However, I have removed it and replace it with invisible shield. Why? Reason being that it is less bulky, looks nicer, gives the same protection and it prevents scratches that happen when dirt get in between the hard case and MBP. That's my preference. I have since switched all my Mac stuff to invisible shield protection cause I like the Mac look.

Schmoe0013

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
I used to have a hard case around my MBP. However, I have removed it and replace it with invisible shield. Why? Reason being that it is less bulky, looks nicer, gives the same protection and it prevents scratches that happen when dirt get in between the hard case and MBP. That's my preference. I have since switched all my Mac stuff to invisible shield protection cause I like the Mac look.

Did you put the trackpad cover on? I have heard mixed comments on how it makes the trackpad feel.

Any input would be great!

stoich

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
STR8 RIPPIN!! SKITZY!
Ive never tried InvisibileShield but I have Ghost Armor on my macbook and it is SO AWESOME!!!! It covers the whole top, the outside of the screen, the screen itself, the wristwrap, the mousepad, the buttons, along the back behind the keyboard and the whole bottom of it and it doesnt feel textured like shoppy said Invisibileshield does. It feels nice and smooth to the touch I like it and it DOES NOT Scratch its pretty schweet! Good luck!

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Did you put the trackpad cover on? I have heard mixed comments on how it makes the trackpad feel.

I did not put on the trackpad protection from invisible shield. However, I use the marware wrist protection as they are kind of cushiony and gives my tired wrists plenty of comfort.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
I'd go for nothing.

Bareback all the way baby ;)

I like the feel of the MBP without a case. Besides, in the rare occasions that I accidentally scratch/ding it, I think it adds character to the machine :p. Makes it feel more *mine*.

Don't get me wrong though, I do take care of it haha.

..and holy crap OP you have a lot of Apple products.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
I agree, I prefer the way they are as well.

I'd either get a sleeve or (what I actually got) was a BOOQ bag made for laptops, its solid and offers all the protection you'd ever need to transport it.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
That's the whole point. I'm looking to go away from bags/sleeves. So I'm probably going on for a hardcase or invisible shield. But my logic is leading me to think that the invisible shield will give it a glossy look, hence I'm kind of moving away from that choice.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If I apply the invisibleshield, does it make my laptop finish glossy?

Yes it will be shiny and some people will wonder why the Al MacBook Pro is rubbery lookin'. It does looks kind of cheap sometimes. It's grippy and I hold it in my hand, I don't have to worry about it slipping.

I didn't use the trackpad cover, I went and bought the PowerSupport Trackpad film. It's smoother and I like that.

nephilim7

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
this is what I use

http://www.uniea.com/product-detail.php?id=140

it is harder than it looks, it's plastic coated with a leather that is resistant to marks and scratches and still offers some impact protection

it adds a bit of weight, enough so that I take it off when I'm in a 'safe' place.. takes like 10 seconds to take on and off unlike some of the other products

it also looks better than the pictures.. they make it look like suede kind of but it's not (fire your marketing photographers uniea)

I also use a marware 'bandaid' for the wrist pad to avoid scratches from my watch and an iskin keyboard 'condom' for when I'm around either food or sloppy people.. I don't like having it on all the time.

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
I use my MBP as my only computer, take it everywhere (including university) and I've had it for about a year and a half. It has one scratch on the bottom, and that's it. No dents, no pitting, nothing.

I say bareback until A) you find you're too nervous about something happening or B) something dents or scratches it, in which case you can use a hard shell to cover that up :D hahaha

Why take away from the classy, durable exterior of the MBP if it's not completely necessary?

Just my 2 cents.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Well I don't mind not seeing the case to a certain extent. Now, anyone have anymore input on Invisible Shield vs Hardcase? Please, no more "just go bareback" posts...:(

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
There are many threads on this subject. Here is a HUGE thread on the Incase Hardshelll.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/499600/

It is a great product. I had it on my Blackbook, and it was probably my favorite accessory. It has a nice feel to it, and having it on just made the Macbook feel secure. Now the reviews for the MBP version is mixed. The biggest complaint is not being able to open the MBP past 90 degrees, others say you can. I still am thinking I will get one, but still not sold on what color I want.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/456342/

I also had the BSE, or Invisible Shield on the same Blackbook prior to the Incase. Very nice product, but, after awhile the shiny look got to me, and I took it off.

Both products are personal choice. The Incase can be found at any Apple store, the IS needs to be ordered. The IS in a Incase sleeve is a great combo. The Incase Hardshell is probably the best protection, along with great looks you can get the the MBP.

Chandler Adaway

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Beaumont, TX
Why don't you just use your MacBook Air or something for collage?

I know that has nothing to do with your question, but you seem to have a lot of brand new Macs laying around.

raymondu999

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I would, but I have to use Windows sometimes, and using it, even in boot camp, is a pain, as the machine feels positively slow after using my monster MacBook Pro. Especially through virtualization.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
I wish they'd develop a plastic shield that has a matte texture, I'd definitely be all over that. The glossy look doesn't appeal to me(well, anyone on this forum), and certainly takes away from the beauty of the MBP.

I also wish the Hardshell was a little easier to take off, sometimes I'd think I had the sequence down, but the next time I do it, I have just as much trouble.

Again, since you are in the college environment, I'd recommend you to get the HardShell, it'll save you from a lot of little mishaps. It definitely saved me from a couple of hard knocks on my MBP, I'm still in the stage where I want to keep my MBP specklin'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.