hardcode/burn subtitles to video? (Premiere/Encore/3rd Party?)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by seenew, Mar 21, 2013.

1. seenew, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I've started getting a lot of requests from clients for videos that incorporate foreign languages and thus require subtitles. The nature of distribution is open-ended, so I need to be able to burn the subtitles to the video file in order to make it player agnostic.

I'm totally new to subtitling, and I got really excited by how easy it was to create the subtitles in Encore.. But there's no way to export the video from Encore as anything suitable for web distribution.

I was able to export the subtitles to a text file, but there's no way that I know of to bring them into Premiere.

Is there any 3rd party software that can take that text file and generate a sequence full of titles that I can import into Premiere?

Or does anyone have any other solutions?

I'm working with all the latest CS6 software, Premiere, Encore, etc. I've got the whole suite if there's something else I could use..

edit: I guess I should mention that we are definitely willing to spend money. At this point I'd be willing to even spend a few hundred if the software was powerful enough.
    Thanks!

2. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

anyone know of a different forum I could ask?

3. floh macrumors 6502

Sorry, I'm just now reading this.

So, you're looking for a software to just hardcode the subtitles into your video? Or do you also want to be able to create them comfortably? Do you want to spend money?

The thing is: To hardcode the subtitles in, you will have to re-encode the video. And the result with free software can be a little disappointing if you just exported the perfectly looking movie...

To create subtitles, there are many free tools like Aegisub or Subs Factory.

To burn subtitles into a video file, there are surely many free tools. I know that Handbrake can do it, as described in this article. For all other freeware, I would not guarantee for any decent quality.

If you want to spend some money, I can fully recommend Kolibri for both tasks. It's pretty pricy in comparison (36 euros, I think), but I have tried many subtitle creators and this is the only one I was comfortable working with. It can export movies with hard coded subtitles as well, but I never used that feature.

I don't use Premiere or Encore, but I'm pretty sure they should be able to handle subtitle files. But somebody else has to help you there... maybe Google? ;)

4. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

I spent literally six hours on Friday scouring Google and other forums for answers.

Thanks for the response, I guess I should mention that we are definitely willing to spend money. At this point I'd be willing to even spend a few hundred if the software was powerful enough.

5. floh, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

floh macrumors 6502

I did some subtitles and tried out a bunch of programs, but not in a higher price segment since this was all just for fun and a hobby. I just was surprised at how crappy most open source programs were, considering that the file format is so simple. I am still hoping that you will get a simple answer on how to do this in Adobe CS6.

In the meantime, if you are thinking about Kolibri ($40 from the App Store), I quickly recorded how it looks and works for you:

EDIT: (video deleted since the OP seems to not watch it)