Harddrive Bracket Screw

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ninjapenguinart, Aug 28, 2010.

1. ninjapenguinart macrumors regular

I was looking at how to change the harddrive on my late 2009 Unibody 15" MBP, and noticed that the screw for the bracket came pre-stripped and pretty much just a circle instead of a cross. Is this something that applecare will protect since it was not me doing the damage? Or is there something else that I can do to take out the screw?

2. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

Here's a pic of the screw taken from my iPhone 4. It's the best I could get.

Attached Files:

3. Covart Guest

Depending on how much room you have around the bollt, there are several options.

1. Locking arm pliers. Once you get a grip on the head bolt, you twist left and right until it's loose, then use some needle nose pliers to loosen it completely.

2. Use a dremel metal grit disc and essentially cut a slit into the top of the screw. Make yourself a slot in order to use a flat head screwdriver to loosen the bolt.

3. Try and heat the bolt up with a soldering gun, then once it is super hot, jam the phillips screwdriver into the stripped bolt head and twist and hope for the best.

4. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a kit designed to get stripped screws out. Usually like $10.