Harddrive Corruption / Genius Bar Appointment.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Collider, May 31, 2010.

1. Collider macrumors regular

So, after just eight months, I'm pretty sure my MBP's harddrive is on its way to being fried. It's making the occasional precarious clicking noises and then locking up shortly thereafter forcing a hard reset.

I've scanned it through the disk utility, and it's come up 'corrupt' and suggested I try and repair it by booting through the OS X installation disk... on attempting to do that, the MBP refuses to get past the white Apple screen, and swiftly stops acknowledging the disk (even though, when I boot again through the harddrive, it reads the disk fine).

It seems to me that a harddrive repair or replacement is inevitable, and that the problem is pretty straightforward and self-explanatory, and have booked it in for a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow afternoon in the hope of getting this done before it completely self-destructs.

I'm wondering, though, (having never had a GB appointment before and not being 100% sure what to expect) how to go about it to get the situation sorted out as swiftly as possible without wasting time on a zillion and one troubleshooting attempts that'll just come to the same conclusion after a week and a half of eliminating everything under the sun.

My local Apple store isn't exactly local, so the fewer trips I have to take there, the better. Any advice for what to say / do / how to explain in such a way that bypasses the ten hours of fiddling and gets straight to the repair?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There's not much you can do. If every person who walked in and said "My hard drive is failing, I've already done XYZ so you don't need to" got immediate replacements, that wouldn't be a very smart way to do business. They're basically obligated to run their own tests first.