Harddrive Crash?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vp719, Nov 22, 2010.

1. vp719 macrumors regular

I've been having some trouble with my '07 15" MBP for about 5 months now (soft crash, wipe and restore, fan trouble, random freezes/sleeps, etc) and I took it into the Apple store the other day and they found a "node error" I believe on the hard drive and suggested a wipe and restore (same as I did back in May) ASAP. I was trying to finish out finals week with it, but after I installed updates today - iTunes and attempting to get iOS 4.2 - and went to restart all I was getting was the attached image.

I can't boot in safe mode, reset, w/ or w/out battery...anything. I'm thinking my harddrive is finally shot. Agree?

If so, I'm just going to replace the HD tomorrow at a local shop (not apple store). I don't want to be a new MBP now with updates on the way in the coming months so I figure this is the cheapest option for now.

Basically I'm asking if you all agree that my HD is shot or if this error screen means something else?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It looks like a bad processor to me. Try resetting your SMC before making that assumption... If the processor is dead, you will need (a) a new logic board. or (b) a new mbp.

This is what is driving me to that assumption:

3. vp719 thread starter macrumors regular

Just reset the SMC...no luck. Does that mean bad processor?

If so, what would be cheaper/the better decision in the long run:

Replacing logic board & HD or looking for a new mb altogether?

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Do you have another computer to "fall back on"? If so, use that until the next release, if you must have the latest. But I would just recommend getting a new one. It is not worth it to repair that old machine.

Sure, it would be cheaper to repair it, but is it worth it? No.

5. vp719 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have a temporary replacement, but I may get a low-end MB or air to hold me over til Lion and the ensuing updates come out this summer. I have a friend who has a Mac mini now and is wanting a notebook eventually - they would take my interim purchase off my hands then.

Looks like I may be getting an Air (even though a MacBook may be more practical I really want to play with the new Air for a few months :) )

Regardless, this is quite unfortunate. Thanks for your help