HardDrive Disco, click, then fail.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yoyo5280, Feb 2, 2009.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Hi all! I will start at the...start obviously.

So I have an IO-DATA u320 320GB hardrive and it has my time machine backup as well as entire user folder for my computer.

Today I needed to take it to school

Come home and plug it into my moms macbook (not the computer where it uses it for user folder) and it started making these weird disco alarm sounds. I turned it off, and tryed again and it boots up like normal then gets stuck in a permanent clicker sound like the one in a car. It also doesn't show up in finder.

I have very very very important files on this and I don't know what to do! :(

2. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Number 1 - Please tell me you don't store the ONLY copy of your user account on that drive.

Number 2 - Your hard drive is dead. You will need a new one.

Number 3 - Please tell me you have a backup of your external if that's where you keep most of your stuff...

If you don't, it's been said a thousand times on this board, but that's your own fault.

3. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

1.He just had a head crash
    2.The only thing you can do when that happens is to wish that it didn't happen and try Onyx and brace for the worst
    3.You'll need professional recovery tools to get the data off... that will probably cost hundreds.