Harddrive Does Not Appear

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdarr, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jdarr macrumors newbie

My powerbook froze up yesterday and I was forced to shut it down. Upon restarting it, I received the flashing question mark folder. I restarted again holding down the option key. When the blue screen came up to select destination the hard drive icon was missing. I am attempting to reinstall the startup OSX disk but have ended up at a dead end, there is no destination for the program to go. I am beginning to really worry now, does this mean my hard drive is gone. If I purchase a new computer will there be a way to retrieve what was on my powerbook? Is this an issue that can be resolved inexpensively?

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Yes it sounds like your HDD is dead. If it's the original, it wouldn't be surprising. If you're handy, you can get another for $60-90 range and install it. On startup w. CD did you see the disk using disk utilities? Do you have Disk Warrior or TechTool? They have some disk diagnostics that may help.

You may be able to see the disk or retrieve some contents if HDD is removed and used as an ext. HDD w. an ATA/IDE-USB enclosure.

3. jdarr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. It is the original, I actually pulled up the disk utility and it shows the HDD but doesnt allow me to restore it. Would I need to use it on a separate computer though as an external in order to retrieve?

4. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Yes on ext. HDD. Or you may get lucky and be able to use it in "target disk" mode. Usually if you can see it, you can get some data from it.