harddrive fan speed stuck at max

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Brilopad1, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Brilopad1 macrumors newbie

Brilopad1

Alright, here's the situation. Last week I shut down my computer to go away for thanksgiving, and when I came back and turned on my 20" white intel imac my hard drive fan sounds like it is going max rpm. I have istat pro installed and the rpm for the HDD fan is showing it's at zero. Does anybody have a clue as to why this is happening? My computer was working fine when I last used it but now my fan is going crazy. It's really loud and i'm concerned my the life of my fan. Any suggestions on what to do would be great.

I installed Snow Leopard after the problem occured, but it's still happening.

2. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I recently had this happen after a new HDD install, fans were going 3000-5000 on iStat. Turns out something was wrong with a sensor (can happen on a new install), had to take it back in and the Apple store took care of it.

3. Brilopad1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilopad1

What do you think would cause it to happen since I didn't download or install anything before the fan speed started going crazy. And do you have any idea why my fan rpm speed is showing 0? I'd really prefer not to have to take it to an apple store since the closest one is 3 hours away. Just curious, but how much did it cost to get fixed?

4. cmaier macrumors G3

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Doesn't matter. If the fan is reporting as 0 RPM, it's a hardware (or maybe firmware) problem and not something that any application could affect.

6. Brilopad1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilopad1

Yeah, that's when you start up your computer while holding command, option, P, and R, correct?

7. cmaier macrumors G3

Yep

8. Brilopad1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilopad1

unfortunately that didn't help

9. Brilopad1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilopad1

does anybody have any ideas on what i can do other than taking it to an apple store?

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Not unless you're a certified Apple tech and have a big bucket of spare parts sitting around.

11. Brilopad1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilopad1

dang, i was hoping you wouldn't say that.

12. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I don't know why it was showing 0. My problem was totally related to the HD install, if you didn't have anything replaced or changed hardware wise yours may be something different. As for my repair, it was all done under Applecare, so I don't know the cost of a repair.

13. Draddy macrumors regular

Does anyone know how to fix this yourself?

I bought my iMac 2 years ago in may, and it has been happening since I bought it. I've taken it to the apple store 5 times, and every time they "failed to replicate the problem".

but I'm sitting right now at 30°C and the CPU fan running at 4600-RPM.

I'm contemplating just opening it up and unplugging that fan. (bad idea I know.... not really sure what a good idea is).

any tips?