harddrive for my macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DiSFLyLaTiNa, Feb 11, 2009.

1. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

I have a 2.4Ghz Black Macbook and I feel like the 250GB I have is not enough. And I was wondering can I put a 500GB on it? ALSO can it be 7200rpm what are the limits? i keep googling and searching and i can't find a real straight answer.
    can I use this one?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374

OH also, once I get this new hard drive how do I reinstall the OS? Do I use the CDs that came with my machine? and do I need to format it? how do i do this?

How do I format an external to work with my macbook? it would be nice if i could read/write on both mac and PC, but it isn't necessary. I've got an external for each computer. i was just wondering..

2. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I'd go with Western Digital, I have had issues with Seagate (and buying Maxtor, also problems).

5400RPM are out now, and 7200RPM are available to preorder (starts to ship in 10 days, I think) at Macmall.

Good luck.

Formatting an external to use for the MB is easy. Will you be formatting using a PC or Mac to use for your MB? And yes, you will have to do a clean install w/ discs.

3. DiSFLyLaTiNa thread starter macrumors regular

but can i use a 500gb on my macbook?

4. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

Yo. I know this probably wasn't the smartest thing to do with my MacBook but I bought the following drive(A 320GB) and pulled the HD out of the case and installed it on my MacBook. I split up the one drive into two partitions for Windows XP and OSX. The drive that was in my Mac is now in the plastic case and I gave it to a buddy for a back up option.

Here's the link to the drive.
    http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Passport-Essential-WDME5000TN/dp/B001F9LY14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234412868&sr=8-1

All i can say is that the 320GB drive was recognized by the system. I don't know if you can run a 500GB with one OS or if the system will recognize it but if it doesn't work at least you have a 500GB back up drive :)

5. ebika macrumors 6502

500GB will work fine, and both 5400rpm and 7200rpm will work fine. The only limitation is that the drive has the proper connector (SATA in your case) and can physically fit into the macbook (most laptop 2.5" drives are 9.5mm tall and fit the macbook). When a SATA drive becomes available with more than 500GB, that will work too.

To install OS X on the drive, you simply boot from the restore DVD that came with your machine (or from a retail DVD like the Leopard DVD) and follow the instructions. To format an external drive, use the application Disk Utility in OS X (in Windows you can use the Control Panel's Admin Tools Device Manager). If you format the external drive to use FAT32, then you will be able to read/write to the drive easily using OS X or Windows.

6. DiSFLyLaTiNa thread starter macrumors regular

great, thanks!!! i'll look more into buying a 500gb hdd for my macbook.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I would suggest against WD as the 3 drives that I went through all made clicking noises every 30 seconds. Apparently it was normal cause the drive was parking its heads, or something like that, but then I went out and got the Seagate and it's been fine :)