Harddrive Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ozman712, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Ozman712 macrumors member

So guys I had a bit of a scare today. I was in OSX (10.5.6) and all of the sudden everything froze. I had to do a manual restart. Once I got to the grey Apple logo, the gear kept spinning for over 20 minutes. I restarted again but no luck.

Long story short I now see that there is a problem with my Harddrive. It started to click, but now it spins up normally. The only way to get the HDD to do anything is to do a fsck restore. Once I do that, I get about 5 minutes of usable time (mounting it as an external drive on another machine) before it unmounts and I have to go through the process again.

The trouble is I don't have proper backups (I know...) and I need to get some pictures and music off the drive. (the smaller files like docs I was able to recover). Do any of you guys have any idea what I can do before this drive fully crashes?

Thanks,
    Oz

FYI..the drive is a Seagate Momentus 5400 (160GB) about a year old.

2. eman macrumors 6502a

Insert your restore disk and use disk utility. Check and repair the hard drive integrity and repair permissions, hopefully this will get you back up and running.

3. Ozman712 thread starter macrumors member

So I now know that there is an Invalid Volume Header. Again I can mount the drive for maybe 3-4 minutes and then it unmounts. Disk Utility can see the drive, but not the named part (e.g. Macintosh HD). Is there anything I can do to recover teh data without having to buy a $100+ program. College student = no money :(