Harddrive Issues.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Collider, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Collider macrumors regular

So, I had my harddrive replaced last week because it was A) corrupt, and B) clicking / freezing. I got my MBP back two days ago, and it was working fine. Now, two days later, the brand new replacement harddrive is once again A) corrupt, and B) clicking / freezing.

My question, then, is what in the world could I have possibly done to it in the space of two days to completely destroy a brand new replacement harddrive in exactly the same manner as the first one? And, more importantly, am I going to have to send it away yet again to be replaced?

2. jungk704 macrumors newbie

If you don't want to send it off, you can always buy another hard drive and install it yourself. It's relatively easy and 500gb hard drives are inexpensive.

3. Collider thread starter macrumors regular

Heh, I would, but it's still under warranty... so the idea of spending money when it's still covered for free isn't exactly tempting. :(

4. moel macrumors 6502

How do you know it is

A) Corrupt

B) Clicking and freezing.

If it is clicking when you move it thats just the sudden motion sensor kicking in, if it is doing that whilst you are say watching a movie, the movie will pause before picking back up where it left off.

5. Collider thread starter macrumors regular

Because I ran the 'verify disk' option in the Disk Utility, and it told me so. :p

Nope, nothing like that. It's a very loud single-click every couple of minutes, followed about two-thirds of the time by a beachball / lockup of whatever apps I'm running. When it did this on the first harddrive, it eventually just locked up the system completely and forced me to do a hard reset... it's not got to that point on the new one yet, but it's looking like it will do before too long.

6. moel macrumors 6502

and you don't live upstairs from a tape and HD erasing facility? Or in the cupboard next to the MRI scanner at a hospital...

7. Collider thread starter macrumors regular

Sadly, nope... though that would be pretty amusing! :cool:

8. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Can you check if you HD is Seagate or Hitachi?

9. Collider thread starter macrumors regular

Errr... Toshiba. Heh.

10. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix