Harddrive mayhem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by flightboy, May 25, 2011.

1. flightboy macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, hope someone can help me!

I have a i5 27inch imac and i have been dual booting it with windows 7 for the last year with no issues. Today i decided to wipe off windows and do a fresh install as it was getting a bit clogged up so i did the usual and went into bootcamp started the windows 7 install disk but when it came to picking the harddrive the partition i had made ( 900GB ) was shown in the windows installtion screen but said i could not install onto that harddrive as it was a GPT partition :( never heard of that so i rebooted back into OSX and now the 900GB partition is no where to be seen in disk utility :/

Im now left with a 900GB i can see via the windows install disk but cant use and the same partition i cant just delete and get osx to partition for me again

ANy ideas? thanks im trying not to panic!

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Wich version of os x are you using? Do you have the latest firmware? did you already blow away the old windows install? If not will it boot? Have you tried to boot from the os x install disc and run a repair?

3. phlydude macrumors regular

phlydude

When running the Windows install, you have to format that partition...should be as easy as that!

4. flightboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thanks for the reply, it is version 10.6.7 which is fully updated. Yes removed windows 7 and i would but checking the box i dont seem to have got any disks :confused:

5. flightboy thread starter macrumors newbie

It wont let me, when i selcct the harddrive the format and all other buttons are blanked out with the "windows cant install on this partition" at the bottom

6. flightboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Just run the verifiy disk option and i got this

[​IMG]

Im going to need to find a disk arn't i? :( expensive day ahead

7. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Have you tried repairing the disc? You'll need to boot from the DVD to repair it. You'll need the silver disc that is specific to your iMac.

8. flightboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah i dont have that :( i have a mac 10.6.3 retail disk i have just borrowed from a friend which i going to try shortly

9. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ah, depending on how old your iMac is, 10.6.3 might work. But, it might not. Hope so!