Harddrive protection... from Rabbits!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Poseidon, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

I'll (hopefully) be purchasing an iMac within the next couple of weeks and putting it in my office. The downside is that my girlfriend has a veritable city of rabbits residing in our office and as one might guess, they shed quite a bit.

Anyone have suggestions for items that I can use to filter or protect the IMac? Obviously I don't want to purchase a nice, new shiny computer only to lose it to pet dander and fur...

Thanks!

2. Poseidon thread starter macrumors regular

Poseidon

While an entertaining thought, I have to think my girlfriend wouldn't be too keen on her "babies" being eaten...

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

As long as you keep your desk clean and the rabbits don't go on the desk then you should be ok. Otherwise get a real HEPA air purifier (don't get any thing that says "ionizer").

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

They Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch worked pretty well for King Arthur against a rabbit.

Short of that, I'd stick with Consultant's advice.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Since it's sort of dusty where I live, I always turn off my Mac at night and cover it and the monitor with a towel. It does seem to keep them a little more dust free.

I'd also recommend getting one of those computer vacuums. Bunny hair could really mess up your fans.

7. Poseidon thread starter macrumors regular

Poseidon

Thanks for the suggestions about a HEPA purifier and computer vacuum....

If I can ever find an effective computer vacuum that doesn't cost an arm and a leg I'll certainly give it a try!

Otherwise I just have to hope that the rabbits shed less out of respect for a shiny 24inch screen. :D

8. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I dont know what kind of work you do on the iMac, but if it's not too intensive you could put a thin layer of cloth along the bottom, as long as it's even slightly breathable. This way the holes in the cloth will be far too small to let hair in, but likely enough to cool for basic usage. You could make a little frame and just stick it on the bottom, and pull it off on the off chance you do something intense with the computer. Kinda like a crochet frame except for a filter.

(Not recommended for heavy video production work or processor intensive operations). Honestly I think a clean work area will suffice, but eventually some hair will get in the machine one way or another.

Good luck getting a hair-free environment!