Harddrive question - while we wait for it to arrive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by whistler222, Feb 5, 2008.

1. whistler222 macrumors 6502

I got a 750 Samsung F1 drive waiting.. i would like to put oSX on here, and use it for mac..
    use the stock 320gb for windows vista

how do i do this?
    remove stock drive, plug into slot 2
    plug f1 drive into slot 1
    reinstall osx on slot 1
    format slot 2 (stock drive), and install vista
    ?

any more specific ideas?
    also, after removing/reinserting the harddrive, how do i get mac to boot to the osx install disc?

2. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

There is no need to move the stock hard drive. Just put the new one in another slot, format it and install OS X (and set the new drive as the startup drive). Then either reformat the stock drive, or just use bootcamp to partition it, and install Vista.

3. pyramid6 macrumors regular

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Mac Pro cares which drive you install OS X on. It may matter which OS boots by default.

I have the 320g Mac OS X in drive one, an 80g windows in drive two, two 500g HSPF drives in drive 3 and 4. If that helps.

P6

4. Banacek macrumors 6502

I have a question: I was thinking of splitting my 750 F1 in half, with the first half for Vista and the second half as a partition both OSX and Vista can easily read. So my question is, what file format can Vista and OSX easily read? :)

5. astroboi macrumors member

NTFS. You won't be able to write to it in OS X though.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Not by default, but third parties made something that allows it, albit slow write last time I checked.

7. Banacek macrumors 6502

I wonder if there is a way to mount it as a network drive so you can access it using Samba...

8. Geosphere macrumors newbie

dose vmware fusion work? I though it said some where you can copy between the 2 os?

9. Rowlander macrumors member

I didn´t want to start a new thread, my question seems to fit the thread title:

I´m a bit confused about what kind of harddrive I need to buy for the new Mac Pro. In the manual it sais "SATA 3Gb/s"

When I look on the web for harddrives, it sais for example: "SATA-300" or "S-ATA II 300MB/s"
    I assume, that´s alright. But I wanted to ask any way.

I intend to buy two of this one and put them into my Mac Pro in software RAID 0 configuration, sorry the page is in German:
    http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-T166-S...Y/ref=pd_sbs_ce?ie=UTF8&qid=1202393160&sr=1-4