Harddrive smart status ok, blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sceneshifter, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Hi all,

Did a lot of searchng this evening, while i find a lot of info, checking if anyone here knows what i could do.

First of all, i backed up on timemachine so that part is ok, im just afraid i have to buy a new laptop all of a sudden!

I am stuck on the blue screen of death of the mac. I ran on the bootdisk, did disk utility, smart status is fine, did repair and repair permissions, but still stuck zfter reboot. I also tried the p-ram thingy, but to no effect.

Can anyone tell me what this could be or what i could do? If it is a harddrive failure would disk utility not tell me? It is the white macbook, so would easily swap harddrive.

Second issue, as of two weeks, my battery appears dead, can this be a linked issue?

Many many thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The hard drive can die with the SMART status still saying all is well. Try starting the Mac up while holding down the shift key.

3. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Thank you very much for your reply. Holding the shift key for safe mode, it appears the macbook stays stuck on the spinning wheel forever (grey screen). I forgot to mention this above.

Many thanks

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What does it say in verbose boot mode. Hold command + V during boot.

5. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Everything passes rather quickly, should i look for anything specific?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Does it get stuck on something or does something repeat endlessly or does it go right to the blue screen? How long did you let it sit when starting up while holding down shift?

7. Sceneshifter, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Hi there, sorry, I fell asleep :)

With verbose, text moves very fast and before you know it you are at the blue screen again. Then, this morning after I read your question how long I let it sit there, I went agzin in shift, safe, mode. Indeed, after some patience, the safe mode login screen came up. Now, then it moved to the 'space' screen which we are all familiar with i suppose. This is a leopard macbook by the way. Besides seeing the nice space background, same story as with the blue screen, no interface etc... Pops up.

If this can be solved by putting in a new harddrive, then that's exactly what I will do. But it is still like 130 Usd here, so would like to be sure it's that, and not something Else beyond repair..

Many thanks, really very much appreciated!

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Before you go and buy new hardware, why not try reinstalling Mac OS X?

9. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

I tried and it idn't work. I got a new disk, and it's like having a brand new mac. Many thanks for your help with this. Good to have the laptop back :)