Harddrive spinning constantly on Windows Partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MiniDragon, Aug 13, 2010.

1. MiniDragon macrumors newbie

On the Mac partition of my hard drive, the hard drive spins every so often. Annoying, but manageable. on my Windows partition, it spins constantly, even when all I am doing is browsing the internet. Is this normal? Is there a fix?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm assuming you mean when you're running Windows in Boot Camp. I'd think this is normal. Windows is always doing something. Weather it's checking for new updates or paging memory. It's never idle for long.

3. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

Try turning off Indexing Service

I had a folder with too many pictures in it for Windows XP, and it was taking a long time before saving any new files. I turned off the indexing service and it helped my problem, and it might help yours too.

Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Services > Indexing Service > right click > Properties > General (tab) > Startup type > Disabled

OR Computer Management > Services and Applications > Services > Indexing Service > right click > Properties > General (tab) > Startup type > Disabled (If you go this way, do not pick Indexing Service directly under Services and Applications. You need to go into Services (with the two sprocket icon) to disable the Indexing Service that I am talking about.)