Harddrive/SSD question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by heebie jeebie, Jan 10, 2012.

1. heebie jeebie macrumors newbie

I'll be purchasing a 2012 iMac 27" when they are released.

If I were to purchase the SSD option and the HD but ONLY store stuff on the SSD, is there a way to deactivate the HD? I don't want it randomly waking and checking the HD and slow down response times. (if it does that).

Reason is that the cost for the HD is negligible, and would probably help resale in the future. I am assuming most people want large Hard Drives.
    For my purposes, I don't need a lot of storage.

Another thought is if I use the HD for storing files such as pictures, but dont access them, will having the HD slow things down?

Hope that makes sense,
    Thanks!

2. smphoto74 macrumors newbie

IMO you will want to keep the HD and use it for images/video/music and it won't slow down your system. You will want to keep your OS and Apps on the SSD to keep your Mac running as smooth as possible. My setup is 2011 iMac with 3.4 Ghz, 24GB ram. LaCie Thunderbolt SSD(256gb) with OS and Apps on it, Pegasus R4 Thunderbolt for files(images and video) and then I use the internal HD as a scratch disk for photoshop/Lightroom/FCPX. While the SSD is fast the best setup is when you can have your files split up over several disk(as long as they are fast and internal HD is fast enough to not to cause a slowdown like USB or FireWire).