Harddrive swap

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 199708, Nov 17, 2009.

1. 199708 macrumors 6502

Ive got two harddrives, a 250g and 500g.
    Is it possible to swap either drive anytime? so my system is up and running instantly?

2. rowsdower macrumors 6502

If you have everything you need installed on both, yes. Your files will not be synchronized between the two.

3. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'm going to assume you are wanting to replace the 250gb with the 500gb. Use a cloning program like Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact duplicate of the 250gb onto the 500gb drive, then swap. It's truly as simple as that. If you would like more specific information than we will need more specific details about your system and available tools to perform the operation.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Pick up a cheap 2.5" hard drive docking station from newegg (about $25) and you can clone back and forth to your hearts content.

5. rowsdower macrumors 6502

I probably misunderstood this. I was thinking the OP wanted to switch back and forth at any time.

6. 199708 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Rowdower,

MSCRIV: not really interested with cloning, I'm using a 500gig atm, however im planning on selling my 13" 2.4hz alumMB and picking up the new MBP 13" in a 2.53. I'm really desperate for a longer battery life, without having to switch batt's.

So I'll be selling it with the 250hdd, with the basics installed as the system came with taking it out and using the 500g until its sold, switch drives quickly, exchange hands and pick up the new MPB 13" and throwing in my 500g hoping itll be up and running in seconds with little down time.

appreciate the assistance.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

That's how I read it.

I think the OP wants to swap like you swap a battery (shutdown and turn back on). Which will work. Just make sure both drives are installed and fully updated on that computer.

8. 199708 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry guys, I do want to swtich back and forth, so when someone wants to have a look and buy instantly I wont have to take it apart in front of them.

9. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Okay, I think I understand what you want to do, but I'm not sure how practical it is. It's simple enough to take out your current 500gb, install the 250gb and put a fresh install of the operating system on it. Then you can swap back to your 500gb and use it for your daily use. At this point you have two functioning drives that will work when installed into the machine. What I mean by "not practical" is the idea of swapping out the drive every time someone wants to look at the computer. I don't recall off hand if the 1st gen Aluminum Macbook had the easy swap on the bottom or if it required that you fully take apart the machine. If it is the easy swap hard drive then this would make sense and could easily be accomplished. However, if you have to take apart the entire machine to swap out the drives then I would let people browse the machine with the 500gb in it and not do the full swap until you have secured a sale. Opening up a machine like that over and over is just a risk.

10. 199708 thread starter macrumors 6502

the early alum-MB had extremely easy access to the hard drive. definitely a bonus.
    I'll give it a shot later this week, and report back if all worked just fine for anyone that may be interested in this method.