Harddrive trouble..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ivangough, Mar 30, 2008.

1. ivangough macrumors newbie

Hey guys I have a Macbook Pro (12 mths old) with a 120Gb Fujitsu Hardrive that has stopped working. Two days ago it stopped booting up, and now comes up with the Apple logo, then after a while it changes to a circle with a slash through it. The guy at the Apple store tested it at the genius bar, told me it was no good, and wanted to charge me $400 to replace it. I'm a service tech so I can do that myself for alot less. I've since removed it and I'm wondering if there is any way I can find out what's wrong with the drive, as I'd like to get it working rather than replace it. It has data on it I want..

Thanks.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can take the drive out and try to use it in an external. If it doesn't spin, you might need professional recovery.

As with repair cost? Well it should $280 and also for that price you can buy a 500GB.

3. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I have a similar problem, my first generation MacBook won't boot up, no matter which harddrive is inserted. I've tried three so far, it always shows the folder with the question mark. When I boot it up with the OS X disc, the disk utility won't show any harddrives, either.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

How about if you try using a external firewire drive with the OS installed on it? This should by pass the logicboard's HD controller.

5. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass