Harddrive Upgrade- Did I do something wrong?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tamdtam, Nov 3, 2008.

1. tamdtam macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just upgraded my harddrive and there were fewer steps than I thought there would be so I want to make sure I didn't miss any steps. Here's what I did:

1. Connected the new HD using an external enclosure. I got a message saying that the disk could not be mounted because it wasn't initialized, so I used disk utility to initialize the drive and create a GUID partition

2. Cloned my original drive using SuperDuper!

3. Booted from the external to make sure the bootable clone worked.

4. Swapped out my old drive for the new one, and rebooted

Now everything appears to be working fine. All of my files are present and all of my preferences are in place. Everything is exactly as it was on my old hard drive.

BUT, every set of instructions I've read and all of the research I've done in the forums seems to say that there was a step that I missed. Which is, once I swapped out the drive I was supposed to do a restore from my backup and format the new disk. This is confusing to me because I already formatted the disk in the beginning (I guess that may have been a mistake) and restoring my backup with super duper doesn't make sense because everything is already on the new drive.

I'm not sure if I'm being clear, I just want to know if I messed up and need to redo the process or if everything is fine as it stands.

Thanks!

2. TheHoff macrumors 6502

You're fine. Your step with Superduper cloning the drive was done instead of using a Time Machine backup and restore. Good job!

3. idavid84 macrumors newbie

Thats exactly what i did with my old macbook, seems like you covered all the steps. You might want to reset the PRAM as I did with mine, the upgrade has been causing me to see a ? in the place of the apple on start up.

4. tamdtam thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh great thanks!

and thanks for the tip about the PRAM!