Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
Well, I've done it I realized today that I am running out of harddrive space on the iMac and realized I need to upgrade the HD. Was wondering what you guys think of what was the best brand of HD that you guys use.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
From my experience Seagate are very good as they are reliable and have a 5year warranty... saying this the one i have had was quite noisy.

Maxtor also make good drives they are affordable and very good, can't fault them......

The one other brand i would suggest to have a look at are samsung Spinpoint Hard drives they are in my opinion the best HD on the market, they are very VERY quiet!! all be it slighlty more expensive than competitors.

Well thos are all the brands i have tried so i cant comment on Western Digital etc...

Just remember you will need to get a SATA drive not the old school PATA (IDE), from what ive heard the installation of a new drive is very easy so go for it,

Shadow

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
has anyone changed a Harddrive in a 17" iSight iMac G5. 19Ghz. im looking at one on ebay, and it sounds like a faulty HD so i was looking at replacing it. ALthough, the seller has used it with an external, so i can do that i guess. Just wondering on your opinions

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.