HardDrive Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marquettefan247, Mar 6, 2012.

1. marquettefan247 macrumors newbie

How big can I go without overheating? I have a 13-inch Early 2011 with 8gb of ram.

2. simsaladimbamba

HDDs don't cause overheating, they idle around 30° C.
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. marquettefan247 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! And I am guessing the biggest they have right now is 1tb

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Any of the plethora of available 2.5" drives made for laptops will do fine without causing undue heating within the system. I believe that the largest that fits the MBP drive bay currently available is a 1TB drive. It sacrifices a bit of speed for size (when compared to some of the speedier 7200rpm drives that currently are running about 750GB) but will be fine for the average, non-power, user. As to which is best, everyone has their favorites and opinions. I would find one you are interested in and search for reviews on it here: http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/

Good luck.

----------

Most don't, and none of the laptop specific ones will, but enterprise drives do, so it is not a wholly true blanket statement.

5. simsaladimbamba

Can you give examples? Are those drives not properly cooled?

6. camardelle macrumors 6502

Only the Euopean models. The American models generally hover around 86F. :D

7. simsaladimbamba

America is more than just the United States of Fahrenheit. ;)

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Pedantic much?

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Not really, just trying to make sure that the truth is out there, as these threads show up in other searches and not just on this site. If it bothers you that much, just ignore it and move on.

Easily annoyed by the truth and minor additions/ corrections to things??

----------

Yes, the Cheetah 15K drives, and the desktop specific WD Velociraptors 10K drives (which are misleading to people as they are considered a 2.5 drive, but need a 3.5 drive opening due to their heat sinks, which some have tried to remove and place into laptops which resulted in huge heat gains within the laptop and even with the heatsink puts out larger amounts of heat then standard drives) are examples that can drastically raise the temps of a system. They are both considered enterprise drives and not laptop specific, which is why I put that disclaimer (but as mentioned has caused much confusion as some are 2.5 drives and now WD builds a velociratoptor for the laptop even adding to the confusion).

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Cheetah's are SAS drives so won't work. Enterprise drivers were an irrelevant point to start with, and still are.

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

They are HDD and they run hot and add heat to a system, so yes they do count when applied to the original statement made, hence the enterprise statement remark. What about the

Now who's pedantic?