Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdhatt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
so im planning on upgrading a macbook pro i5 once i get it to a bigger, better harddrive. first of all, battery life difference between 5400rpm and 7200rpm? second, i want the harddrive to be fast yet quiet....i was looking at the hitachi 7k500 travelstar 500gb, opinions?

diablo2112

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
Tons of threads on this already. Your questions are common and have been answered dozens of times. Search.

jdhatt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
yea ive heard of the seagate one, apparently its noisier though :s.....and is it true that changing the default harddrive makes the macbook louder than it would normally be? some reviewers have claimed this to be true

mac&cheesey

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2008
yea ive heard of the seagate one, apparently its noisier though :s.....and is it true that changing the default harddrive makes the macbook louder than it would normally be? some reviewers have claimed this to be true

This has not been my experience. Not noisier. No noticeable vibration.

m&c

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

That entirely depends on the HDD you buy. Some are noisy, some are silent.

MRoogle will find you at least hundreds of threads about upgrading the HDD in an Apple notebook, three have been created today, excluding yours.

jdhatt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
what kind of harddrive does it come with thats so quiet?

paintballswimgu

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
5400 rpm drives are normally less noisy than 7200 rpm drives.
I currently have a seagate monumentus 500gb. Its not the XT version. I wouldn't buy this drive a second time. My first one failed after 6 months. I had to RMA it to seagate and it was expensive to do so. Seagate charges 20 bucks just to send you the drive first, where you return your old drive in thier packaging. Western digital does this for free fyi.

With the exception of Samsung Spinpoint F3 3.5 in drives (nothing even comes close in speed to these bad boys) every drive i buy now is a western digital due to their return policy.

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
After searching MRoogle, I found that 99% of the posts and replies for the Seagate Momentus XT 500GB were very favorable. Search and check it out. Good luck!

jdhatt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
5400 rpm drives are normally less noisy than 7200 rpm drives.
I currently have a seagate monumentus 500gb. Its not the XT version. I wouldn't buy this drive a second time. My first one failed after 6 months. I had to RMA it to seagate and it was expensive to do so. Seagate charges 20 bucks just to send you the drive first, where you return your old drive in thier packaging. Western digital does this for free fyi.

With the exception of Samsung Spinpoint F3 3.5 in drives (nothing even comes close in speed to these bad boys) every drive i buy now is a western digital due to their return policy.

what kind of harddrive comes with a macbook pro initially that makes it so quiet? im considering WD too and ive heard bad things about the seagate too and hows the high res on your i5? i was debating whether or not its worth getting the high res with only 256mb of vram....for gaming and stuff.

tombilske

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
Australia
what kind of harddrive comes with a macbook pro initially that makes it so quiet? im considering WD too and ive heard bad things about the seagate too and hows the high res on your i5? i was debating whether or not its worth getting the high res with only 256mb of vram....for gaming and stuff.

ive read numerous times on this forum that the 512mb of vRAM doesnt make the slightest difference because the 330m isnt fast enough to take advantage of it. high res is definitely worth it :)

and the seagate momentus 7200 drive (not the XT) is what apple puts in when you order the 7200 BTO option.....i have this and i hope i dont get drive issues, but i have a time machine backup and at least its covered under AppleCare :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.