Harddrive Upgrading

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JNephilium, Aug 9, 2014.

1. JNephilium macrumors newbie

Hello all! I have a Late 2011 MBP 15 and I love the thing to death. Recently, i decided to check how much memory I have left, and I have just under 50gb free on my HDD. It seems that it is time for the dreadful upgrade.

What is a reasonably priced Hard Drive (SSD or not) that is either a 750gb or 1TB and reliable. I'm not knowledgable on hardware that much. I know the basics but this is why I call upon the geniuses on this form once again!

It's going to replace the current hard drive I have
    I know you can make the MBP dual Hard drive by removing the CD drive, but I don't plan on doing that.

Thanks all! :D

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd suggest re-evaluating what data you actually NEED to keep on your MBP. Once you've decided what you need on the computer and what can be stored on an external drive(and hopefully some things you don't need at all and can delete), you can shop around for a 250-500GB SSD and a 2-4TB external HDD. The Samsung 840 Evo drives seems to be a good choice for the internal drive, and I've had good luck with WD external HDDs.

Also, I'd like to make you aware that the 2011 MBPs with AMD GPUs have a manufacturing flaw and they seem to have an abnormally high failure rate. I just don't want you to spend a bunch of money upgrading and then have a surprise failure.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You have 50gb free now. Anything you plan to do that would change that much? If not, they no need to upgrade at all.

If you need room in the future, find a few folders or files that you can delete or move.

4. JNephilium thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that i need to evaluate what i need on my Laptop - that's the first step. but for some time now, I've had the thougt of upgrading my hard drive. 500 Gb is not enough for me personally.

As for the problem with the MBP with the AMD, what fails? Cause that's the MBP that i have. I have an AMD Gpu, and for the last year and a half i haven't had any issues.

Regardless, I'd still like a reasonably priced reliable hard harddrive.

As for externals, i have a Seagate 1TB and its lasted me well, my internal is just too small.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There really isn't any good data out there on laptop drive reliability. Your MacBook uses a standard 2.5 inch laptop hard drive. Your only real decision is if you want a 5400 vs 7200 RPM drive. The 7200 is a bit faster but runs hotter and uses a bit more power. The OEM is 5400.

If it was me I would just decide what size I want and get the cheapest 5400RPM laptop drive I can find.

All the drive companies have been either bought by or merged with either Seagate or Western Digital, so brand does not matter much.

This WD would do the trick for you for $69.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Search for Radeongate in the forums and you'll know what I mean.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I'd recommend the 1TB 7200rpm Hitachi I have in my MBP to hold media.