Harddrive Won't Mount

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KidCudi5, Mar 11, 2011.

1. KidCudi5 macrumors newbie

When I boot my computer it comes up to the apple logo and has the loading wheel beneth it then after a minute or 2 a bar appears underneath the wheel. The bar stays for a while then leaves, it does this 3 times then the computer shuts down. I then proceeded to boot in single user mode to see if I could find the problem. Every thing boots fine until it tries to mount Disk0s2. It fails and says errno:19
    it tries about 7 times and then says mounted read-only. I then try to boot from single user mode. It then says Disk0s2 I/O error 3 times. and powers down. How do I fix this. I have no startup disk. :eek:

2. KidCudi5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Details

I ran single user mode and /sbin/fsck -fy
    ** /dev/rdisk0s2
    ** Root file system
    Executing fsck_hsf
    disk0s2: I/O error.
    ** Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    ** Checking extents overflow file.
    ** Checking catalog file.
    disk0s2: I/O error.
    Invalid node structure
    (4, 13300)
    ** the volume Macintosh HD could not be verified
    /dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXILED WITH SIGNAL 8
    :/ root#

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sounds like your hard drive is toast. Boot from your install DVD and run Disk Utility to see if you can repair the disk.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

He does not have a "startup disk" - best bet would be to buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard - but it does sound like that the hard disk is toast...

What kind of Mac - MacBook or what ??

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks, I missed that. Yes, a retail copy would work, and would probably be faster than ordering replacement install disks from Apple.

6. KidCudi5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

I Finally got the system to mount by creating a new user through single user mode. I then proceed to use disk utillity to verifiy. It said the disk need to be repair, but not having a startup disk is frustrating. I then obtained a copy of DiskWarrior from my friend. I used it to repair the disk. It worked fine the first time I booted but then next time I tried it boot with the error loading drivers symbol (Circle with a slash through it). i tried diskwarrior again. but nothin