Harder to find MacBooks in stores?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacPoulet, Jan 9, 2019.

1. MacPoulet macrumors regular

MacPoulet

Is it just me, or has in-store stock of the MacBook gone down? I’ve been looking for one and none of the local resellers have any, and many configurations online are sold out at resellers. Maybe it means an update or a cancellation is coming?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I doubt a cancellation is coming. The post-holiday quarter is traditionally slow and the MacBook hasn’t been updated in a while.

Unless Apple is planning a major redesign with an ARM chip I wouldn’t expect an update before next year. Because they skipped the minor Amber Lake update, the next Intel chip that would be appropriate would be the Ice Lake chips coming in 2020.

Also, for what it’s worth, the MacBook is available for pickup tomorrow at my local Apple Store.

3. MacPoulet thread starter macrumors regular

MacPoulet

Yeah, I noticed Apple seems to have a decent supply. Others don’t though. I was at London Drugs (I’m in Canada) and the assistant manager of the computer department thought it had been discontinued because they haven’t had stock for so long. Looking at online sources like Adorama shows a bunch of models out of stock.

Too bad Ice Lake will only happen at the end of the year. I need to get one by June at the latest and was hoping an update would come out.

4. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

Get it now and enjoy it, instead of waiting for an update that may be many months in the future. I was also waiting for an update, but after none came in 2018, I got one (used), because:

Possible Intel-based updates would most probably bring only minor improvements and a switch to ARM would probably mean more hassle in the beginning. The 2017 is a decent machine still today and should now be available discounted and/or 2nd hand more easily.

5. CrazyForCashews macrumors regular

I haven't even seen them on display at Best Buy here in Canada.

6. MacPoulet thread starter macrumors regular

MacPoulet

I had originally purchased a new-in-box 2017 model back in November from an eBay powerseller only to receive a 2016 model. They insisted it was the right model and had to get eBay to facilitate a return.

Now I’m waiting for them to go back on sale. Newegg has a refurbished model, but I don’t know if I trust it. Used market here is crazy, with people wanting more for them than new.

Would love an Ice Lake MacBook with thunderbolt 3, heck, even one port would be fine. I’d be interested in an ARM MacBook as well, but not as a first gen machine.

My local Best Buy has all their apple products in a cage. I went by on Boxing Day and laughed when I saw people trying to touch the MacBook Air through the bars.

7. sky87 macrumors newbie

They recently disappeared from one of my local resellers (no longer on display in store). Another local reseller still has them in store though, as does the Apple store.

I was half contemplating getting one but realised I can't live with the noise of the gen 2 keyboard compared to the gen 3 keyboard, so will be holding out (and hoping for!) and updated Macbook 12" with a gen 3 keyboard.

8. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Why would a cancellation not be coming? The new 2018 Air is really just a bigger MacBook! I predict the 12" MacBook is on its way out with the 2018 13" Air as its replacement. My personal opinion, of course.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Because not everyone wants a bigger MacBook. The 13” Air is only slightly lighter than the 13” Pro (in essentially the same sized package), and it weighs 38% more than the 12” MacBook. Apple had both an 11.6” and 13.3’ MacBook Air before 2015. The 12” MacBook replaced the 11.6” Air as the smallest and lightest notebook in Apple’s lineup in 2015 and it remains so today.

I doubt Apple would leave something as heavy as the 13” MacBook Air as the lightest notebook in its lineup. I think the only reasons they didn’t update the 12” MacBook to Amber Lake are that a) it wasn’t a big upgrade (just a faster clock speed), and b) an i7 MacBook would have outperformed the 2018 MacBook Air on some tasks.

10. sky87 macrumors newbie

I agree with this. I have a shiny shiny MBP 13" which I love, but when I compare the MBP 13" and and the 13" Air against the 12" Macbook in store, I can imagine myself bringing the 12" Macbook out with me every day and all over the place, but not so much the MBP 13" and 13" Air. That weight difference feels like it would be significant for me at least, for my own personal use case.

I would be highly tempted to get a 12" Macbook if not for the noisy gen 2 keyboard.

11. MacPoulet thread starter macrumors regular

MacPoulet

I have a very light touch when I type so the loud keyboard shouldn’t be a problem. We’ll see. I ordered one this weekend as it was on clearance for a great price. I’ll know when it arrives.

Totally. The difference between the Air and MBP is so minimal, I wouldn’t consider the Air unless it was a refurb and a lot cheaper. The MBP has the same footprint and almost the same weight but is much more capable.

Since I have a Mac Pro and iMac side by side in my office, I have the luxury of going for a very portable laptop. It won’t do much heavy lifting, but will travel tons.

12. MacPoulet thread starter macrumors regular

MacPoulet

Didn’t want to create a new thread, but Best Buy Canada has the old gold and rose gold i5 models on clearance for $1599.97 (works out to about $1200USD. Only caveat is it’s a French Canadian keyboard. At that price, it’s a hundred bucks less than a refurb model and just a bit more than the new Air but with a 512gb SSD.

Ordered one and it’s on it’s way. Not sure I trust their stock numbers, it said one in stock when I ordered mine and still says the same thing.