Hardest part about jailbreaking iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by California King, Oct 11, 2007.

1. California King macrumors 65816

I want to hold out on jailbreaking my iPod touch, but damn...seeing the apps you can get is getting me all excited. I've skimmed through the tutorial and you can say I'm an above average computer user (no where near advanced), but I was wondering what were the most confusing/hard parts of jailbreaking and if you can just give me some quick tips or things to look out for or whatever so that I won't get stuck on anything.

Thanks!

Also, is there any reason why you shouldn't jailbreak your iPod touch (other than Apple doesn't want you to)

2. druranium macrumors member

The hardest part for me was before the jailbreak even began! First thing i did is initiate a restore in iTunes and it came back with "unknown error, cannot restore" or something to that effect. It took 20 minutes or so of fiddling around with it trying to get it into recovery mode and iTunes to recognize it. I finally tried moving it to a different USB port and restarting iTunes and it was able to restore.
    The jailbreak was quite simple (I used the windows method) just follow the instructions closely and you can do it!
    I had some trouble getting the iPhone apps on but all of the answers to my problems were on this board.

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I completely agree. Hardest part for me was BEFORE lol.

4. matias1021 macrumors member

im an idiot with computers, i barely know how to see my IP address let alone get past all those steps.

When will there be an easy way to do this?

5. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

So wait, you have to do a restore before you begin the process? What do you do if you get that error when trying to restore? Does it say in the tutorial? Also would you say that the tutorial is well written? I saw another tutorial that is posted in this forum. Do you suggest that I follow that one instead?

Maybe I should wait for the GUI version. That will make it much easier right?

Thanks.

6. isaac17 macrumors member

7. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

The reason would be not that Apple doesn't want you to, but that they'll actually try to mess up the jailbreak once you've done it. ;)

To my knowledge, they didn't brick many iPod Touches, only iPhones. But they unhacked the Touch, or forced you to restore it to make it work.