hardisk life?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Memorial1, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Memorial1 macrumors newbie

I purchased an Apple iMAC in 2007. In July 2012 it crashed and the local Apple Store, after checking it, said I'd have to replace the hard drive, which i did. NOW its 8 months later? my iMAC is locking up at least 2x daily, and I'm being told by the Apple Store reps that I'll probably need to replace the Logic Controller.

(in contract, I had a Dell Computer and in 10 years never had to replace a hard desk or anything else)

has anyone else had to 1) replace their Apple iMAC hard disk after only 5 years or their logic controller in this time framce

Jim

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While most drives can last many years, some percentage of drives may fail long before expected. It's just a fact of life. That's why backups are always recommended.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Definitely both failures are happening to you sooner than average. Sometimes there's a definitive reason for that (temp/humidity extremes, vibration, smoking household) - sometimes it just happens, bad luck.

4. Drharrington macrumors member

5. gagecloutier macrumors member

I work for an APSP and out of all AW and OOW repairs we do, hard drive failure is undoubtedly the most common. Due to the mechanical nature of HDDs, there's absolutely no way of knowing how long they'll last. I've seen some fail out of the box and others last in excess of ~7 years. It's kind of a luck of the draw.

6. Drharrington macrumors member

7. Raima macrumors 6502

Everything eventually will fail regardless of which manufacturer. You got good usage from your machine. Time to replace it or get it fixed

8. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

9. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

I'd say its all luck. I've had drives that have lasted 7+ years of daily use.

Have had drives fail after 3.