Hardrive buying recommendation?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lazer155, Jul 3, 2012.

1. lazer155 macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2010
    I'm looking to build a storage bank for time machine backups of my macs (imac and 2 macbook pros) and to provide space for all my various other files. They would include music, movies, photos, documents and large project files (ie final cut pro projects that I am currently working on). I would like to setup the hardrives so that they are redundant and there is a backup of each one just I case one fails. They would ideally be connected to my airport extreme to share over my network. I estimate that 2-3 tb would be enough room if the redundant drives are not included. 3tb would be ideal as it would give me about a tb of extra space for my photo, music, fcpx projects, and movie collection to grow.

Just out of curiosity, could I build an array of drives that are redundant and also have varying sized hdds? For example I use 2tb for time machine backups and have 500gb for movies, photos, fcpx projects ect.

With all of that being said, where do you guys recommend that I buy my drives from and which drives exactly? I looked around newegg and tiger direct earlier but wasn't sure exactly which drives to chose. Is it even a good time to be buying hdds? I know earlier in the year there was a storm that damaged a couple major hdd producer factories, making prices go up. Are they still high from that? I'm not in a hurry to get this storage array built and would be willing to wait until later this year if prices will be lower then.
  2. durruti macrumors regular

Mar 26, 2004
    You have many questions.

i will answer a few of them.

I recommend a notebook 5400 rpm hard drive if you want to run it from usb bus power.

I like Samsungs, but Seagate has a new one out for $100 on Newegg.

For the most part HD prices have stabilized to pre-flood Thailand prices...not quite but almost.

Also, I advise you look into Carbon Copy Cloner, and research more into why and how of your backup strategy.

In terms of redundancy, there are a lot of expensive setups out there and dedicated devices for this function...

Basically, from my offhand knowledge, redundancy (i.e mirroring)on the cheap/DIY, requires equivalent and ideally identical hard drives of same capacity.
  3. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003