Hardrive configuration question for MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DeuceDeuce, May 12, 2008.

1. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I just bought a MP with a 320gb HD. I want to install one 750gb hard drive to store all my media and what not and then install another 1TB drive to use time machine and back up both of those drives. Will that work?

If so, what two drives should I get and from where? I need one 750gb and one 1TB.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals!

2. aibo macrumors 6502

yes, adding hard drives to your mac pro will work.

you should do a bit of research yourself. the only answers you're going to get are people's personal brand preferences, and this thread will end up being like all the other 100 threads on hard drives here.

3. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

It really doesn't matter that much where you buy it, other than buy it from a reputable seller, and it must be 3.5" SATA or SATAII (maybe a.k.a. Sata 3Gbps) You can fit just about any 3.5" SATAI/II internal drive, up to four in the Mac Pro without any funny business. The only exception that I know is the announced Velociraptor drive, but that's not available in the sizes that you need anyway.

The brands may differ slightly, but every 1TB and 750GB drive available should work just fine now. Storagereview.com is a good place to compare drives based on whether you want performance, energy efficiency or low noise.

Some earlier Seagate drives had some trouble with Mac Pro, but that has been fixed over a year ago. I've been using the newer Seagates without trouble.

4. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I knew that but will Tima Machine back up two different hard drives? Is there anything special I would have to do to make that happen. Im on an iMac now and my Time Machine only backs up on drive obviously, I just want to make sure I can back up both the 320 and 750.

5. JeffDM macrumors 6502a

I don't use Leopard, so I can't answer whether it would back up two drives. I would expect it to.

One possible issue is that the 1TB drive is a little smaller than 320 + 750. Unless you have a lot of free space, you might not have a complete backup, and that reduces the number of revisions that it can backup.

6. aibo macrumors 6502

yup, time machine backs up everything it can find (except removable media/servers) that you don't specify it not to.

7. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Fantastic, thanks for the help!

8. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Im leaning towards these drives... Has anyone had any bad experiences with these?

Attached Files:

9. JonR356 macrumors member

Use the search function on here. There's plenty of discussion on these (and pretty much every other) drive.

I'm sure for your purposes, any drive of the appropriate size will be fine.