Hardrive not recognized

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by J90, Sep 27, 2008.

1. J90 macrumors newbie

I am getting the following information when i go to plug my external hardrive in "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer".I have tried to use DiskWarrior but it can't seem to find the drive either. The only place i can seem to see the drive anywhere is in disk utility but it won't give the option to repair it.
    here is some information about the device, also I have noticed that it is showing it as being 2TB when it is only 250GB This has about 5 years work on and I can't afford to loose it any help is greatly appreciated
    [​IMG]

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

A Mac can read it if it is formatted in NTFS. Your capture shows the disc as unformatted.

NB: *Do not initialize it for the Mac or you will lose your data.

You'd have to transfer the files via networking or backup media or on a drive such as Fat 32 or of course HFS+.

3. J90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you please explain how i would go about doing either of those I have no way of accessing anything on the drive?

thanks

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Ok. It must have worked at some point before if it has the files on it you want.

What file system does it have? What was the original OS and machine that the files came from? Which particular WD 250 is it? What type of USB port is it using?

Also, what particular computer and OS are you using now?

Have you tried it on another computer?