hardrive question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seahawk09, Aug 15, 2007.

1. seahawk09 macrumors regular

Hey all,

Just a quick question about macbook pro harddrives, I was wondering how long do those hardrives last in such a small heated space. I guess they die a little sooner then regular desktop models. When I buy my macbook pro i would like to have it last for a couple of years say 5 is that possible.

Thanks for your comments

Richard:)

2. filmgirl macrumors regular

filmgirl

It's really a crap shoot. One person might get 5 or 6 years, another 5 or 6 months. Keep in mind that the faster the drive spins, the more opportuntiies it has to screw up - that's just a fact of life when talking about moving parts. Seagate has 5-year warranties on all of their drives, but Apple uses Fujitsu and I really haven't read anything overwhelmingly positive or negative about their drives (they provide drives for a lot of other PC manufacturers too) - I know there were issues with some of the MacBooks/MacBook Pros last year, but I think it was one particular set of serial numbers or something.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is just do frequent back-ups of important stuff and keep your MBP elevated (meaning, don't keep it on a bed or the carpet, use a book, something anything to prop it up) and you know, not drop it. The good news is that laptop hard drive prices have dropped considerably in the last few years, a trend that will only continue (you see periodic periods where the prices fluxuate due to market scarcity, like with the 7200 RPM SATA 2.5" drives - but that's not a common variable) - in the event that it dies after the first year (or three if you do the Apple Care), buying a new one is pretty inexpensive.

3. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

You can always get applecare and that will cover it for 3 years. After that, you could alway replace the HD yourself if you don't mind taking it apart. If you wouldn't want to do it, I'm sure you could find somebody who will. Just because a HD dies it doesn't mean you're whole computer is.

Now, after saying that, the HD is vented and they though about heat problems with the HD when making the MBP, so it isn't like you are cooking the HD all the time. Is it less vented than a desktop? Of course. Look at old PowerBook users, their computers are years old and they still use them. There is nothing that says "A HD won't last 5 years", because they do. So I don't think you have that much to worry about. Any laptop's HD *MIGHT* not last 5 years.

The Stig

4. seahawk09 thread starter macrumors regular

Thankyou both for those informative replies I feel much better about buying a mac now of course I never had any problems with my old Mac back my younger years oh how i miss them:D

Richard

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think replaces a harddrive after two years is probably a good idea anyways. After that, it runs a much higher risk of going bad. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.