Hardsleeve for Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ddrueckhammer, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Hi guys, I'm getting a new Macbook and want to be able to throw it in my Jansport backpack with a book or two and a spiral for class. I know there are a ton of threads about sleeves but I didn't see too many about hardsleeves specifically... I am concerned that the normal neoprene cases (ie. Incase) might scratch/stain it/break the lcd due to pressure from a book. I want maximum protection without being too bulky since I have a bag without a computer compartment. Is it worth it to get a hard sleeve or are fabric/neoprene ones good enough? Here are the cases I'm looking at:

Hardsleeves:

Axio Hardsleeve (34.95 Academic Superstore)
    Booq Viper XS2 ($54.95)
    Shinza Zeroshock III (29.95)
    Crumpler School Hymn ($45)
    Tom Bihn Horizontal Brain Cell ($60)

Softsleeves: (I like the looks of these but do they offer enough protection?)

Timbuk2 Classic Sleeve ($35.00)
    Foofbag ($39) (my girlfriend has one of these for her Touch and it is pretty cool)

So thats it. Which one of these provides the best protection/fit for the money and is it worth it to get one of these rigid/semi-rigid cases or should I just get a soft one?

2. Stratification macrumors regular

I like the look and function of the Booq Viper, but I'm generally pretty careful with my Macbook. It's worked great for me though.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

4. brandon.vong macrumors regular

Just some food for thought:

I use the Booq Vyper for my 12 inch and have just noticed (due to me hearing the zipper contact the aluminum, not a pretty sound) that the zipper DOES somewhat scratch the side of my PB. This kinda irked me but I guess if you are careful enough that this should not be a problem.

NOTE: Oh... and Booq is not super padded... it's pretty light but not well padded if that's what you are looking for.

5. ddrueckhammer thread starter macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Ack, thats not what I wanted to hear. Well that one is out. Also, I think the Tom Bihn in out as well because it looks too bulky. And I think the Shinza looks Ok but am not too fond of the syling... I'm thinking of getting the Axio one and returning it if I don't like it... The Crumpler one looks good but I read about some fit issues.

Oh well, if none of these work, I guess I will have to live with a soft case...

6. hassouni macrumors member

I went to the Academic Superstore site and they don't seem to have Axio anymore. Have you found anywhere else to get them? The Axio site is down too.

7. skwij macrumors 6502

Would the Speck hardshell suit your needs? I don't know how rigid they are, not having one for myself....but it sounds like it might do?

SpeckSeeThru

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I was going to recommend the STM Rebound, but now that I look at their website, it appears as though STM doesn't make them anymore. :rolleyes:

It was truly and honestly the best laptop sleeve for those wanting maximum protection. The material was like a really thick foam, and if you take a look at the inside area around the zipper, you'd see that even if you dropped the STM Rebound with a laptop inside, there's no way your laptop will ever get a ding. The zipper could also NEVER scratch the laptop. The only real danger is your laptop's internal components may get shaken loose or something, but there would be no physical damage from repeatedly dropping it from typical heights.

Anyway, I'd look for a sleeve made from the special foam that just returns to its original shape. They really can take a huge impact. Avoid the plain neoprene sleeves. They do nothing but protect your laptop from scratches, but lets face it.......a pillowcase could do that. Lots of things could do that. They add no real protection.

9. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

In case you're interested I posted a sort of review of the Crumpler 13" Hard Suit for my MacBook a while ago. The gist:

First up, it looks great, colourful, wacky, funky....all the stuff I expected from Crumpler.

The 13" MacBook fits like a glove, perfect.

But.....a bit disappointed that it isn't as tough as they claim, ie "For those who are likely to take a few hard knocks and want an extra bit of protection, get a Hard Suit on your side. Tough and ruggedly handsome, this strongbox will protect your vitals from even the roughest handling".

Well, it's not that tough! I had this idea that it would be almost steel-like, but instead it just feels like it's made from a firm cardboard-like material that's quite 'bendable', so it's not what I had in mind. In other words, I'm not going to test it by throwing it - with MacBook - against the wall, I suspect it wouldn't survive the ordeal.

But I have two padded bags (the smaller one is a Crumpler, the bigger one a Tech Air) so the plan is, when I'm travelling, to put the MacBook in the Hard Suit in the bag(s), so hopefully that will give it all the protection it needs.

Any way, I really like it, but definitely disappointed that it's not more solid - for E59 I expected better protection for my baby!

[​IMG]