HARDWARE: 3GS rubber strip btwn glass and body

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jdaniel, Aug 15, 2010.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

hey guys if u look closely between the glass and the chrome bezel there is like a thin rubber strip or whatever u wanna call it. now, I know its not part of the glass bcoz I have replacement digitizer and theres no rubber around it, is this part of the casing? mine is a bit screwed up (long story) I wanna make sure before i open it up or order parts.

THANKS

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

3. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

and the best place to put this is ? stop making stupid comments

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Not a stupid comment; this doesn't belong in a forum on software hacks. I would say you should have put it in the main iPhone forum, since you're more likely to get a response there.

In any case I have no idea what you're talking about. There is no rubber between my iPhone's glass and the chrome bezel. Are you talking about the plastic frame to which the LCD is screwed and the digitizer adhered with adhesive strips? If so, you will have to use a heat gun to separate the frame from the digitizer and attach the new one with the custom-fit adhesive strips that should have come with your digitizer.

5. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

In sum, easier if you just buy the glass, and digitiser together.

6. navigates macrumors 6502a

I've looked around and can't seem to find the gasket for the 3gs sold separately. I know an iphone repair guy. I'll text him to see if he knows of this part. He typically sells refurbished phones which look new so he must be having replacement gaskets

7. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

ah someone who knows what I am talking about, I bought the digitizer but i dont see any gasket on it. I am assuming it is part of the case. I have not taken it apart yet but it is must definitely a rubbery foamy type material

8. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

While the forum is primarily geared towards software just by sheer number of threads, I don't see any indication that hardware modification discussion is unwelcome here.

Yes, there is rubber between the glass and the bezel. It's sunken down into the frame a bit, but it's there. That's why you can push down on the glass and it seems "squishy."

As for the OP's original question, I unfortunately don't have the answer. I managed to damage part of my gasket when trying to remove a piece of dirt that got stuck between the glass and the bezel. Depending on how damaged it is, maybe you can make it work?